8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FFTC, R U a member? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FFTC, R U a member?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2005 06:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think i've seen this question on here before but how many of this forums members subscribe to our one and only dedicated magazine, Film for the collector via Derann Films? Mind if we have a count? i'll total up and see what happens, it may also be interesting,(i think),if anyone reading this posting "use" to subscribe but now doesn''t, If i'm not being nosey im sure anyone from Derann Reading this post may also be interesting for any reasons given. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2005 09:32 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this FFTC thing mentioned before... but I'm really clueless as to what exactly it even is... Well, I roughly know it's a magazine for collectors. [Roll Eyes] But who makes it? Derann themselves? How often do new issues come out? Can people in the US subscribe? How, and what is the cost? ... You see, I don't even know any of these things. [Eek!] I think a sample issue would be great if there's a way to get one. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 29, 2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Film For The Collector" is a must have for anyone reading these posts! How many other magazines have a Super 8MM film review section?
Subscriptions are available through Derann (who is also the publisher) and the cost for we Stateside folks is 22 pounds for 4 issues over a 15 month period. I know that comes to $11.00 an issue but where else can you read the prose of Keith Wilton, John Clancy, Barry Littlechild, Tom Photiou, Paul Adsett, and .....me? (Aside from this forum, of course!) The last issue even had a pic of Tony Milman, suitable for framing (The picture, not Tony).

e-mail gary@derann.co.uk for info.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you kindly, good sir [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 29, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get on Jan, thats two replies to this very important issue, Film for the collector is "our" magazine and is for all readers to take part if they so wish by putting in an article as long as it is "film" related. So lets have other names of those who do and dont subscribe and enlighten those who dont so they can subscribe now,while its still going. As they say at Derann, a lack of input will stop its publication.
So far thats Two( inc myself) that do and one that doesn't. Whos next?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next issue is set for some changes. Keith's done the complete "Super 8 Film Review" section himself in-house so we should see some improvement there. Steve's from Derann is putting the magazine together now so he'll hopefully pull a rabbit out of the hat and the improve the magazine overall.

Bazzer Attwood of Independent 8 is taking up a regular article I understand. I always really enjoy his own newsletters so they've probably poached him for that reason. Then there's Tom's Techy Bit, Barry Littlechild's Report, Tony Shapps Widescreen Centre news and 8mm related section (I wonder what he'll have to say regarding the death of Kodachrome), Bryan Haines column, etc. etc. etc..

It's not a glossy magazine so don't expect too much. But it is one of the few publications left. "The Reel Image" in the US is a nice little mag too. Much smaller than Derann's offering but certainly worthwhile.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 29, 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes John, but when are we going to see the next issue? It seems like ages since we saw the last one [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe to FFTC, and love it.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 29, 2005 08:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I just sent an e-mail to Gary. [Smile]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 03:02 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Jan. If we all subscribed it would give the magazine a lease of life and help keep the hobby healthy for longer.

Kevin, the next issue is in the final stages. I know because Derann have been talking to Keith about the "Super 8 Film Review" pages he submitted just over a week ago. The problem we have nowadays is there isn't enough going on to fill the quarterly issues we used to enjoy so it takes around 4 to 5 months between issues in today's market. Better to have something worthwhile going out than just a regular load of waffle with the odd new film review thrown in.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 03:30 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still surprised how many people who collect film do not know much (or anything!) about Derann, this came to light to me at the recent BFCC in Ealing, when a man with a bag full of films came up to the Derann counter and asked who they were, and I believe it was Gary of Derann who went through the spiel about the lists and magazine etc. So after seeing that first hand, I'm not surprised that there are still collectors out there who do not know about FFTC, as it is produced, published and distributed by Derann, and from the next issue will be done all in-house, and yes as John Clancy suggested, I have done a column/article, but thankfully for ALL you collectors out their, the suggested idea of including a picture of myself was dropped, as the old "H" certificate would have had to be re-introduced here in the U.K.

All I can say to anyone who has yet to subscribe, then I urge you to do so, as there are many 8mm dealers who advertise only in FFTC, and you can never have too many dearlers numbers. Then there are the reviews of the latest releases, which are always fair and honest, together with articles and comments, this is a must for any 8mm collector. Contact Derann Film Services for the latest subscription prices, wherever you live.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted May 30, 2005 05:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, your comments about people in the collecting world not knowing or heard of Derann before has really surprised me. Thats incredible.

Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kevin,

Well if you think about it, if someone has just come to 8mm collecting and has been buying mostly via ebay or the like, then perhaps it is possible not to know, perhaps he didn't realise Derann were still going, you think how many distributors have folded, but 2nd hand prints still exsist (Walton - Ken - Iver etc.), that may just be the simple reason, because if your not on a big dealers mailing lists, and Derann are only mentioned in passing, then perhaps this can explain it, still whatever the explanation, I was then, and I am still stunned, to think he didn't know who Derann was initially.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So thats about 4-6 i count at the moment, Who else,
Who's not reading the tag? [Eek!]
Come on lads i'm counting and am tryig to get a tab together.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a subscriber, I also keep meaning to write an article for publication but it's just one of the many things I never seem to get round to.

As my school report regularly read; must make more effort. [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 30, 2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too! They even published one of my articles. I think I may get around to writing another one.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike and Paul.
Mike, are you goinf to be able to do the MGM one you mentioned before, that would be good, [Wink]
Paul, i was looking through some early mags and did read your article, be good to see some more from you mate.
So what of the other members of this forum????
How many is there Kev and Doug?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be premature but I haven't heard back from Gary yet, and I don't suppose today (May 30) is a holiday in the UK as it is here in the States, so I expected him to be getting around to it today. Should I just be more patient?
I put "DFS" in the subject line of my email, is that enough or should I email Duncan instead? I'm not sure but I thought there was a temporary problem with Gary not receiving any email and to email Duncan instead. Should I have done that? [Confused]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 03:00 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, it's a bank holiday at the moment here in the UK [you can always tell; there's been heavy rain and thunder here in Sussex] so Gary won't get your mail until tomorrow [Tuesday].

I know he reads the forum too, so if he doesn't get your mail he will at least know you have been trying to contact him.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 30, 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rain & thunder??? [Eek!]
I'm sunburnt from Looe beech, its been summer in Devon.
Wonder if Projections would let Derann put an ad in that mag for FFTC [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so there IS a holiday. (Or rather, WAS.) Okay, then. Thanks Mike. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 31, 2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW 353 forum registered members and only a handfull answering the question, [Eek!] OK lets have one more go, alltogether now,
Do you subscribe to FFTC magazine via derann?? I'm just toying to see just how many users here read the tags and how much super 8 in danger of becoming extinct,Amazing to read that some people dont even know of Derann. I think a tv documentry about our hobby is called for, lets bring it back to life, after all steam trains are still going and have there followers,

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom
I reckon the FFTC subscribers here are holding out confirming their subscriptions to test your patience (& blood pressure!). I am pleased to confirm I subscribe to FFTC and a very good read it is too. I've been lucky enough to plug the gaps in my collection and now have the whole set from Sept 1985 to the present day. I find the reviews a great asset when deciding on film or equipment purchases, and the servicing and repair tips help to bring the very best performance and enjoyment to the hobby. Just a thought though - do you think that film collectors that don't use the internet may form the largest proportion of FFTC subscribers due to their reliance upon printed media, and the possible low uptake of the other 340 or so members here is simply because 8mm Forum users are more comfortable with purely web based media these days; maybe they are also reluctant to pay when snippets of similar content is available free via the web? If this is the case I would advise any current non-subscribers to subscribe and give the magazine a try and I'm sure they would feel they are getting value for their money once they have read an issue or two.

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe too and I love it.I have renewed it twice already.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2005 09:09 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-

Well, I'm ashamed to say, I am not a member or subscriber to Film For The Collector [Frown] .

I have read a copy or two of the magazine in the past and loved it. I really don't have a valid excuse for not subscribing, except maybe too lazy to pick up the phone and call Derann to subscribe. [Roll Eyes]

Incedently, I have been a subscriber to The Reel Image (formerly Coming Attractions) magazine since the 80's and will not miss an issue. Even the magazine's great publisher Steve Osborne has been telling me to subscribe to FFTC for years now!

At this time, I vow to become a subscriber to FFTC. Just give me till August! [Wink]

Nick.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC