8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ST 600 Stereo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ST 600 Stereo
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while ago David Pannell opened up a topic on the For Sale board as he was selling his ST 600. Regular readers will remember there ensued a debate about whether or not the ST 600 could play back in stereo through an external amp. We established that there was an ST 600 model that was capable of stereo playback but that it was rarely seen.

I have just spotted one on Ebay so I thought I would 'borrow' a couple of the photos from the listing as they illustrate this unusual model rather well.

So, here is the machine;

-

And here is the front panel showing the stereo take off;

-

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike,

How are ya?

Wow, it's clear from all the varieties of the same model that my earlier statement is that you sure can't tell the models without a program. It's unusual in any other industry I've been associated with for the same model number to have so many variations of capabilities. Sounds like many of these machines were changed to try and spur further interest in Super 8 about the time video began it's climb.

By the way, I'm in the process of designing a small add-on board for ST600, 800 and 180's as well as potentially for ST1200's without stereo to play full fidelity stereo off of the main and balance tracks. It will basically use the projector power with no mod, and not interfere with normal operation of the projector as you may use it. Will have a separate set of audio (line out) jacks for stereo. Just leave the projector in silent mode and and mixed mode.

Of course, must have the full head complement (and track/mix) switch. Will deliver approximately .7 to 1.0 volts full line out so would be suitable to drive any regular stereo amp. Only a minor projector mod (tie-in not change) and a small 2X3 inch circuit board.

Don't know how much interest and will need some level of tech expertise to implement. Know that I want it though.

Rick

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, splendid idea! If this comes to fruition I know I'll want one - but make it cheap. [Big Grin]

I had an idea of my own recently, more of a low-tech solution: Hook up a good stereo tape deck to the projector's monitor-outs - set the tape deck to record (but don't actually record anything) and pump up that level control. My thinking is that the tape deck should boost the sound signal just enough so that you can grab it off the tape deck's out jacks and feed it into your amplifier and speakers. Well, it's a thought anyway, but your way is so much better. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

Have the circuit and have identified the IC. It uses a whopping $5.00 of parts (including the IC) not counting the printed circuit board which I haven't determined yet. It can run off of any available DC supply in the projector from 7 to 23 volts DC and will just need a couple of shielded wire connections to the amp board where the heads come in. Doesn't use nor interfere with any of the normal sound play or record functions.

I'll let you know once I have one built and perfected. My ST600 will be the first guinea pig.

Rick

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2005 02:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agnello Guarracino puts a car audio box in between his ST1200HD and amplifier to get normally amplified stereo sound. This box is used where a car hifi doesn't have line outs and therefore the speaker terminals are connected to this box and from there standard line out jacks go to the amplifier.

Cost of such a box was £10 (about $18 but no doubt it will be cheaper in the US).

No need to mess around with tape decks Jan.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 01, 2005 06:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, if that comes off you will sell some I'm sure. Let me know how it goes.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 01, 2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

not quite sure how this is supposed to work if the ST-1200HD only has ONE speaker-out to begin with? How would this help you get stereo sound? [Confused]

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pictures, Mike.

But OH! SO VERY different from the ST600 which I had. Almost a totally different machine entirely.

Anyway, nice to have the differences confirmed - so we were ALL telling the truth, after all!! [Razz]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 04, 2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I think Rick is meaning stereo via line out sockets only just like the ST1200 HD.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 04, 2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what Rick is talking about, but John spoke of some fellow who used a car audio box to connect to the speaker-out and bring its signal down to line level and send it to a dedicated stereo amplifier. Since the ST-1200HD is, at its heart, still a monaural machine and only has one speaker-out, it's not possible to use this way to get stereo sound - you have to go through the twin monitor outputs. Thus my confusion as to what John was saying. [Cool]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 16, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh, another old thread to revive. [Big Grin]

Rick, have you succeeded in building that add-on board for stereo output at line level from Elmo projectors? [Smile]

--------------------

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jan,

Been awhile since I've been back to the old board. I played extensively with the udea. The problem came up that the way the ST600 head wiring and the myriad of switches it goes through did not lend itself at all to an easy modification. In other words, you'd have to be a very highly experienced electronics tech to even attempt it and the projector may not be able to easily go back to it's standard functionality without adding even more switches.

In the case of the standard 600's like mine, Elmo had no intention of allowing it to be stereo. They must have totally redesigned it for the model Mike found above.

So, to make a long story short, I figured no one in their right mind would dig into it this extensively (and possibly mucking it up for good) just for stereo.

Best to all!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC