8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super8 Promotion Reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super8 Promotion Reels
Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Some super8 companies brought out -->super8 promotion reels (dsl) (click here for modem)

I only know few german reels and one french advertisement reel from Film Office. Were there other companies, which gave trial prints to retailers?

Andreas

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas- Thanks for that viewing!

Here in the U.S., I know we had the Marketing Film promo, which was cut in at the end of the 400 foot version of Star Trek TMP. It was similar to your promo.

The really interesting thing about your promo, is that it seemed to advertise films from different super 8 companies. It seems that you had an organization over there in Germany that promoted all super 8 package movies in general (sort of like the "beef" and "milk" ads they show in the U.S., that don't advertise a particular brand, but promote the general products.)

The other neat thing about your promo is, that there seemed to be NO FADING at all [Smile] .

Thanks Again!

Nick.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 10, 2005 08:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
PM Films here in the UK put out an optical sound promo of some of their EMI releases. This included the trailers for Swallows and Amazons, Beatrix Potter and Up Pompeii. This was a full 200ft reel and was really very good quality.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2005 05:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

That was a wonderful line-up of films.
Thank you for sharing it with us. [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 10, 2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of promotions.....

I have a print of "The Old Mill" which I bought used from Derann last year which has an ad. for a camera store, beauty salon (Very 1960s harstyles...grrooovy!)and a laundry in Birmingham, UK at the end of the reel.

I was amazed! Was this kind of advertising very common on Super-8?

(Can't escape advertising anywhere!!)

[ June 10, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2005 06:01 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Marketing Films features were as brilliant as the 200ft promo for them I'd be very happy! I notice my PG Tips etc reels are on the fade though. On trailers,it is maddening to see the trailer for,say,"Through the Bottom of a Bottle" in stunning colour then have to watch New York,New York in a faded magenta state.them's the breaks eh?

--------------------
Trevor

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2005 03:54 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

The marketing clips from the promo reel above were edited behind every last part of the published 1980 season. The clips were
taken from independent company promo reels of marketing and piccolo. (The cylon space ship is flying backwards!!!) But I never saw a independet UFA promotion reel.

Don´t know if there was a organisation behind, but I would not be surprised, if it had been like that. This promo reel was not only a cooperation between marketing, piccolo and ufa, also Kodak Germany and the laboratories Geyer and Bavaria were involved. The promo reel was for sale for a little stamp duty of 3,50 Deutsch Mark.

The marketing promotion clips after Star Trek were taken from the promotion reel for retailers. The german Star Trek one parter shows the complete promotion reel, which began with the
titles which were also distributed by the subsidiary in New York and ended with titles which were only available in Germany.
Ended the promotion reel in the english version of Star Trek abruptly?

Here more promo reels
marketing film 1978 ( dsl ) or modem )

piccolo film 1977 ( dsl ) or ( modem )
The piccolo reel shows also widescreen version of "Lawrence of Arabia", "Bridge on River Kwai" and "The Wind and the Lion".

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good Andreas. But aren't those films out of sync'.

Must have been a Derann recording!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 13, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I mention I need......

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 13, 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help!

It seems my browser and/or OS do not recognize this link as a media file. I only get a page full Of "0&²uŽfϦ

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 13, 2005 11:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That means your browser isn't set up to treat the link as what it is... binary data meant to be passed to a plugin (or external program, i.e. a player). You could install such a plugin or you could go the easy way and right-click on the link, then choose "Save Target As..." and then play the saved file from your local harddisk [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 14, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Thanks for the advice. It seems that sometime in the past few months my Windows Media Player decided to take a vacation. Since I primarily use Quicktime, I hadn't noticed. And of course, a big thank you to Andreas!

Doug

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC