8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DIN connector help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DIN connector help
Chris Drumma
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Chris Drumma   Email Chris Drumma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone walk me through how to wire it to a speaker. I have an elmo ST600 projector and would like a better speaker system.
thanks
Chris

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 13, 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure exactly what kind of speaker connector you're talking about but I'm assuming you mean the one with a rectangular hole and a small round hole next to it. I can tell you this much, the round pin carries the signal and the flat pin carries ground. Does that help? [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

Jan is exactly right as I'm sitting here looking at my external speaker connection and the amplifier schematic electrical diagram on my ST600. The one thing to remember is that this external speaker jack automatically disconnects the internal speaker when an external is plugged in. What I'm trying to say is that the output amplifier of the ST600 may be sensitive enough that it may not like having both the internal and an external speaker going at the same time.

The best solution is to wire your external to a proper plug, but I can't give you a clue where to find one of those puppies. Maybe the Elmo gurus can help you with that.

Rick

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 13, 2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne at the Reel Image has them for sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 13, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The DIN Std is German and therefore they are in plentiful supply here in Europe. Yes the blade is -ve and the pin is +ve. For single speaker use it doesnt really matter which way round you connect the speaker to these connections. For stereo amps the left and right should both be wired up the same.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 13, 2005 11:48 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the reason for that is if you wire up one stereo speaker right and the other one wrong, then one of the two channels will be 180 degrees out of phase with the other, and this will destroy the stereo image in a most peculiar way. (Try that with headphones if you ever get the chance...!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chris Drumma
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2005 04:03 AM      Profile for Chris Drumma   Email Chris Drumma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks everyone for the info. I did get the right plug from Steve Osbourne just wanted to be sure how to wire it before I try it.
thanks
Chris

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC