8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » RECORDING WITH GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RECORDING WITH GS1200
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone. I had a question about recording sound with my Elmo GS1200. My new obsession is buying films on German Ebay and rerecording the sound from stereo DVD's. I just did this with the 2 X400' Land That Time Forgot Marketing Digest and the sound is truly amazing (I highly recomend picking this up and splicing in the Ken Digest, it's better than the feature). But I'm wondering about my recordings. Some films sound amazing while others come out warbly and choppy as if the sound track is damaged. Upon inspection the stripe looks fine. Is there a reason some films record beautifully while others don't? Does it come down to the quality of the stripe? Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 13, 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely comes down to the stripe quality! I re-recorded Grease and it was good in some spots...warbly in others. But then I re-recorded "Bugsy Malone" and it was perfect the whole way through. I received a German print a few months back of a Godzilla title. It wouldn't record on the balance stripe. I puzzled for a good 10 minutes till I realized. It didn't have a balance stripe!

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

I agree the imports from Germany are real collectors items. As to the different quality of your sound remixs, you may want to direct your attention to Mr. Elmo himself -Kevin Faulkner, here on this forum. He discovered and advised us that there is a Capacitor that can greatly affect the recording quality of the remixed tracks. Due to the age of these units, it has a tendancy to go bad. When changed to a new one, the quality is dramatically improved. Most prints in my experience then end up sounding as good as your "Land" print does. He has the specs on the type of Capacitor needed. It is located inside the component that has the two red record buttons and he might be able to change it for you or advise as to where you can get it changed. Or you may be able to do it yourself if you are handy with a soldering iron. Hope that helps and again a big thanks to Kevin.

LA

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2005 01:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have an excess of film cleaner/lubricant on the prints that are going "warbly". It may also be that the variable speed control on the GS is having a problem and thereby causing wow and flutter as it struggles to maintain a constant speed.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 14, 2005 04:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the capacitor which controls the recording bias oscilator can drift to the point where the oscilators frequency is no longer correct. This means that the recordings will be more effected by the quality and composition of the mag stripe.
In all cases where I have changed the capacitor the GS has once again given perfect results on the different stripes that are on the films. If the recordings are now sounding lifeless with much reduced bass then its probably this capacitor.
Its a 3300pf 600V polystyrene or other close tolerence, high voltage capacitor but you will probablay have to have a good look round for a supplier of this device in he US. The supplier (RS Components) here in the UK has now withdrawn the cap I was using as a replacement and unfortunately they dont have anything else which is suitable. It's possible that Alan Rik may be able to help. I will contact him to see.
I can send you some pics Brian, of exactly where this capacitor is but you will have to remove the front control panel where the record controls are located.

Kev.

[ June 15, 2005, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC