8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8mm Sound Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm Sound Film
Lucas Daily
Junior

- posted June 29, 2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Lucas Daily   Author's Homepage   Email Lucas Daily   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know where I can find some super 8mm sound film stock? I am an independent film maker and want to do some experimentation on super 8mm, but don't have the funds to rent a DAT for my audio. If anyone can help, please respond or email me at mtalica030@hotmail.com

--------------------
Lucas H. Daily

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 29, 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear... super-8 sound film cartridges haven't been made in a long time now. I'm afraid your only shot at getting these is from eBay, and even then you're (at best) buying cartridges that are long past expiration but were frozen to keep them usable.

You might want to reconsider capturing sound separately while filming. It doesn't have to be a DAT recorder, does it?

Oh, and... welcome to the forum [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2005 08:54 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lucas, and welcome to the Forum. We're all here to help each other.

As Jan says, a serious problem. However I may be able to help. I was looking for some Super 8 Kodachrome Sound for 2 or 3 special occasions: daughter's graduation; son's engagement party etc.etc. and came across a 'friend of a friend of a friend' who was and is a professional photographer with a quantity of these films in cold storage for sale. He had about 70 cartridges left the last time I bought some. I actually bought 18 at that time, so it's possible he may still have around 50 cartridges left.

They are dated 1998 and work PERFECTLY!

I had decided to buy the lot, but have since realised that the cost would be prohibitive, as he wants big bucks for them; not surprising though, as they're probably the very last ones left on the planet.

I suggest you e-mail my contact, Richard Moses in London, on: richard@netgen.net and give him my name. You can let him know I don't need the whole lot after all, and I'm sure you will be able to get as many as you want.

Good luck,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2005 03:29 PM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas,

I suggest you to record the sound on a DV video camera. You can sync it in post and the audio will be of excellent quality.
Anyway, if you want more options, follow this link:

www.super8sync.com

Pedro from Germany will help you a lot.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Marc

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 06, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Marc, Welcome aboard the 8mm forum. You will find the other members very helpful and friendly. There is a real wealth of knowledge amongst the members and hopefully you will have some input as well.

Enjoy [Smile]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc and Lucas

Don't believe a word...they are all real nasty here [Big Grin]
All except Kev that is [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2005 06:14 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kev and Tony,

I've been reading the forum many times and I've learned a lot from this amazing amount of knowledge, but never tried to post since now.

I'm more a filmmaker than a projectionist, but I love to run my Bauer T610 with a good film on a big screen. Super-8 is very addictive!!!

--------------------
Marc

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marc

In the UK you can get help from the hospital for this problem [Wink]

Welcome to the forum and look forward to hearing more from you (you need to get a move on to catch up with Jan Bister [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 08, 2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you suggesting I talk too much [Razz]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC