8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Hoppity Goes To Town" - released by Derann??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Hoppity Goes To Town" - released by Derann??
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 03, 2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed an eBay auction for what the seller claims is a Derann print of this movie... I thought only Niles Films ever released it on super-8. What's the story? If Derann really did release HGTT, is the color likely to be significantly better than Niles' Eastmancolor prints?

(And figures, I'm trying to sell my own faded-red print (one of two that I have) on eBay but so far nobody's bitten yet - and the other guy's print starts at a much lower opening bid than mine) [Mad]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan- I'm not sure about Derann releasing this one, but I know that "Red Fox Films" in Pennsylvania did release it, as well as Niles.

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 04, 2005 07:59 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller claims high and low that Derann themselves did release HGTT in the late 70s... even the reels (white) and boxes have that typical Derann look. Hmmmmmm.

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 02:23 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,

Derann did release "Hoppity Goes To Town" together with the other Fleischer F/L cartoon "Gulliver's Travels" here in the U.K. in the mid to late 1970's. The prints tended to be a bit muted on the colour side, but were generally acceptable on both titles.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 03:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry is spot on about Derann releasing this print. Derek told me some while back that a number of titles were released by Derann and Red Fox as the two companies struck up some deals with the film studios together. For instance Red Fox and Dearnn struck up the rights on the Warners titles which is why Robin Hood was released by the two companies. On that note I think the Red Fox print was the best with far better saturation which is why I found Barry's comments about HGTT rather interesting.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Kevin,

Although you were right about Derann and Red Fox doing a deal in the early 80's for F/L features, it was in fact Ivy Films who he did a deal on for "HGTT" & "Gulliver's Travels", as at that time they had the world 8mm and 16mm rights to those 2 titles, as well as "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" (the original, and best), which Derann released as well (now find me a print of the Derann "IOTBS", as there were not to many printed).

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 10:55 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, that brings back memories...I had forgotton about Ivy Films and didnt realise that Derann had done deals with them as well. I take it this was to get the number of sales (jointly) that the film companies required?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 11:03 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Derann sold quite a few of the 2 Fleischer F/L cartoons, but I know that Derek was dissapointed with sales of "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", and I believe they only ever had one run done of those, which was most probably 50 prints in those days.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 70's my now EX wife gave me for Xmas, the Ivy Films Super 8 release of Invasion of the Body Snatchers....and it served me well for 30 years..until I sold it a couple of years ago when I acquired a 16mm print. They did a pretty good printing job, althought the scene early on at the train station was printed a hair light. Other than that ..a really nice print . So ifyou ever see it on Ebay, grab it ..it's a nice quality print.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 05, 2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So.... if you had a faded-red Niles print of Hoppity, and a chance to win that Derann print of the same film... would you bother to bid? Or would you figure that the color probably isn't THAT much better anyway? ... What do you guys think I should do [Eek!]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC