8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Does anybody work for a Major Studio?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does anybody work for a Major Studio?
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do any members of this forum work for any of the major film studios? Has it ever been considered revisiting a discussion about testing the market for Super-8? I think that copyrights wouldn't be that much of an issue being that most everything today is available in a digital format. Super-8 quality is far from DVD, but yet there's something magical about running a film through a projector versus slipping a disc in and watching it on tv. I think that it's just that film is so non-ordinary yet there seems to be such a global interest in the format still that I think it behooves the studios to at least open it up for discussion and with open minds. Some of these studio execs are one-track thinkers and only see things from a sterile white box point of view.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Super 8 format but I feel like we are the last of the remaining Jedi Knights and our projectors are our lightsabers. People are inherently lazy and would rather slip a disk in and say "Go!" then lace up a movie, put up a screen, focus, etc.
We did get a resurgence of life a few years back but with the demise of K40 and Kodak closing labs left and right....I am holding out as long as I can but its getting close to the wire.
Now what somebody needs to invent is a DVD player that can add a Super 8 clicking track to the picture and then occasionally go out of focus where you touch the DVD player near the front with a fake focus ring and then it goes back into focus. Or a DVD extra where you can watch the film as if it were aged and pink with vinegar syndrome! [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you Alan! I purchased a Panny 700 VP last November and I love it, and so does my family. It has opened up a whole new world of classic and modern film viewing on a 10ft screen, just like the real cinema only better! (Beautiful picture, stunning surround sound, plush seats, and no bozo's chomping on popcorn and answering cell phones!)And of course DVD's are dirt cheap compared with film.
Having said that, 9 months later I am still quite regularly fiddling with my S8 projectors, looking at Super 8 films on my Eumig's and Elmo's , and even dabbling in 9.5mm by converting a 1922 Pathe-Baby to halogen lighting. I appreciate the special 'whatever it is' that only cine projection provides. So I don't think the fascination with cine is diminished in any sense by the posession and use of the fabulous Panny, if anything it is the reverse, at least for me. So I am definately keeping all my film projectors and film collection for the long haul, and am still in the market for film related bargain's.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an idea. Why don't you guys stick with your DVD releases and send me all your super 8 films. I'll pay for the shipping. [Cool] This forum is obviously not about state-of-the-arts equipement. It's about collecting from the past. I'm sure there are a lot of DVD forums out there in cyber space, but this is not one of them. [Razz]

[ July 05, 2005, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Chill Man [Wink]

Anyone want to buy my entire DVD collection?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tony, I must admit DVD is the far superior and it is inevitable that we will all be retiring out ancient film collections. [Razz]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 05, 2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan - Great idea. Maybe the remote could have a button that activates the "frame-burning feature"!

Paul - Did I ever mention that your opinion carries such weight with me that I also bought a Panasonic PT-AE700U last year? It brings DVDs a little closer to the magic of film projection.

Brad - Studio execs are mostly interested in the bottom line. The profit margin (if there is one) would be so slim.......
What would be great is if there was a star director who was so taken with 8mm that he demanded a digest release of his feature! Are you listening Peter Jackson?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC