8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best method of storing film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best method of storing film
Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2005 06:23 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the best method for long term storage of super-8 sound-stripped film? Is it preferible to put the reels on closed metal cans (in horizontal position) or keep them on plastic vertical boxes?
Any suggestions?

--------------------
Marc

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 07, 2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stacking reels/cans places unnecessary pressure on the bottom load, I always place cans in a row for easier access, aesthetic look and somehow I think this helps the durability of the prints - Shorty

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 01:12 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, that's interesting and exactly how I used to store them until I went to PERRY's temperature controlled shed and saw piles and pile of film stored horizontally.

Now I too store mine in this way albeit I am still waiting for the shed [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its important to let the film breathe freely. I store mine in card boxes and virtical.

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 08, 2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Storing films on their side is generally recommended by archivists, but it's really moreso an issue with prints that are not tightly wound. It's also much more of an issue with 35mm and 70mm prints than 16mm and especiallly 8mm. Think of it in terms of weight. On a loosely wound roll, storing vertically would put uneven pressure on the roll. But again, we're talking 8mm. Even a 2000 foot roll of 8mm film just isn't heavy enough to matter, so storing vertically really is the best solution for a variety of reasons, a major one of which is being able to store more in a given amount of space (not needing a shelf between every couple of horizontally stored rolls) and quick access.

Never, ever store in cans or any sort of airtight container, as the film needs to breathe or anything on acetate base will certainly turn vinegar. With larger gauges such as 35mm, a VS film can have a reasonable amount of life left on it once it starts, but with 8mm it's so small to begin with, the beginnings of VS is pretty much the grave right there.

Don't underestimate the importance of a cool climate. A hot garage with high humidity is about the worst place you could choose in terms of accelerating VS and color dye fading.

So yeah, vertical storage in cardboard boxes. And don't forget sound film is generally magnetic, so don't go storing them on a shelf next to your subwoofer! [Wink]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2005 02:59 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now have everything necessary to ensure all your films are properly stored so why not post them to me and I can then look after them for you.

This offer (amazing though it is) is open to all forum members

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Oh, I think i may need help here. All my 8mm films are in boxes, kept in a cool lwr ground floor supboard so no problem with that, however i'm sure ive read many times over that the profession recommends (certainly the larger gauges) metal film cans. All but a few of my 16mm films are in these aluninium cans and i remember some years back talking to Derek Simmons who also said metal cans were prefered. [Confused]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 09, 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I've heard that plastic cans are the way to go, as metal ones supposedly tend to promote vinegar syndrome. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC