8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cement splices - on polyester film!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cement splices - on polyester film!!
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 17, 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible but true - I have a feature on polyester-base film (or estar/mylar, whichever you want to call it) - and just found that it has four rock-solid, strong, durable cement splices near the beginning!

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.... Sekundenkleber? What is the english name for?

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 17, 2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

you mean to tell me that whoever made these splices used regular superglue instead of film cement?

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is actually possible to splice polyester based films, by means of an ultrasonic splicer. The result roughly resembles a cement splice, but is usually thicker and noisier than those, when passing through the gate. Sometimes you happen to see them at movie theaters, it's often very noticeable if not coincident with the frame line (i.e. 80% of times here in Italy). It's so annoying that a famous multiplex firm cuts these splices away and respices with common transperent Ciro (Catozzo) tape. Much smoother. SOmetimes Derann features happen to have these splices, (lab splices) and, as in the rpofessional world, they are needed when the printing stock finished in the middle of a roll.

--------------------
Maurizio

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 17, 2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That explains it... thanks Maurizio. I thought this was impossible, now I learned something once again. [Smile]
The film in question, btw, is an airline print with optical sound of the feature "Something Short Of Paradise." I got it on two reels, spliced them together using a tape splice, and upon rewinding onto one large reel, found the "cement" looking splices near the beginning. Boy, was I making big eyes. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC