8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical Sound Super 8's (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Optical Sound Super 8's
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev. Do you happen to know when it came out? Come t think of it, I have a print of "Battlestar Galactica" (absolutely stunning color!) on kodak SP, and that came out in 1979, (but it could be a later print, I had a first print of B.G. on Eastman that did not fair as well). Perhaps they only moved the optical sound features to Kodak SP when all available eastman stock was used?

What the (****)?! Have you been able to talk to the fellow who sold you a butchered CE3K print? Maybe he has the deleted footage lying around? The strange fact is that when he took that other footage out, it still didn't make forthe riginal feature from 1977, as there was footage taken out in favor of the special edition footage, thereby making for a shortened feature. Magnificent that you have a copy, but dang it, what a bummer!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 01, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered how some of the other post-1982 optical prints are holding up? Can anyone comment on (e.g.) 'Sudden Impact', 'City Heat' or 'Pale Rider'? I have a copy of 'Nadia' (1984) which is very brownish so it would not surprise me if some old stock was being used up post-1982. I expect they knew for a while that the days were numbered for these prints.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2005 03:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most certianly, which is why they tended to use the lowest grade stock available. I've ran into very few post 1984 optical films that are bad in color, and if there is some fade, it is the, as you say, slightly brownish variety.

Most of the titles you mentioned, (Pale Rider, for instance, of which I'd love to find a copy of), are from the later years, and I have NO titles past 84 that have bead color. It is possible, if the owner "abused" thier prints.

But then, alas, most of us, myself included, didn't know the fade potentials on our films in the 80's. I do now, and take appropriate precautions.

All the best!!

P.S. Just got my Yashica Optical super 8 projector. Most satisfied, it has good low end and the optical sound is louder than on my old Copal projector.

Ah, it's like a new addition to the family!

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 01, 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, You missunderstood what I said.....CE3K is complete. What I was trying to say was that I think the last owner took out the extra scenes and then replaced them before selling it on. Luckily there are no frames lost at all and the splices are sound. I got the print at a good price so am not complaining [Smile]
I was trying to find out the date that SP stock came out but havent done so yet. Interesting that on the eFilmCentre site they make mention to Airline prints on estar base and SP saying that it is holding out very well. Presumably they are comparring that to the SP on acetate base. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear CE3K is complete, (and I'm still very envious). I can certianly say this, once I build that optical sound super 8 feature site on the internet, I'm ging to have lots of good info to work with. Now, I wuldn't be suprised if all kinds of stock was used. I'm betting it came down to watever was available and at the best price.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 02, 2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your probably right with that but it was an art coating onto thin base polyester film base. Kodak and Fuji seemed to be the only ones which I remember having such animals.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 02, 2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Art coating?" Are you suggesting that putting these prints down on polyester-base film was an art, Kevin? [Wink] (I'm sure it was, actually, but I do have a feeling you mean something else...)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 04, 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had always wondered why it seemed like I had more minutes of film per 600ft. reel when i had an optical print on it. I didn't realize the print was actually thinner, but that does make sense that an optic soundtrack is printed on nstead of a magnectic track being placed on the film! All this wonderful info on optical prints is much fun!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC