8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Comments & a couple questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comments & a couple questions
Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Been awhile since I've gotten a bit off into the repair business initiated by our own Dan Lail. Thought I'd drop back in with a comment or two and a question (or two).

First the comments: was very distressed (and know I don't want to open old wounds on closed topics) but just want to throw in about the past posts claiming cliquey attitudes by the forum. As a relative newbie to it with literally no major knowledge other than my electronics troubleshooting capability, I can say I never felt more welcome in a forum as I did this one. We all help each other where we can. People tend to add to when they can or it fits their expertise, otherwise they don't clog the airwaves. Nuff said, just wanted to thank all for the past help I've gotten and the expert knowledge available.

Second comment on telecine. I am doing this on the lowest capability you can get away with it. Been playing with my 18 fps home movies getting them on tape, both digital and standard VHS. One noticeable thing, I found you could nearly get rid of lines, blink and image persistance or jerkiness by setting the digital camera at 1/30 second shutter speed. Surprising when there's such a difference but as I said I'm doing this on the dirt cheap. The problem is controlling exposure because most of the less expensive camcorders (like mine) allow you do one or the other but not both.

Now my questions. Would it be okay to put the projector bulb on my Elmo 600 on a dimmer to cut down the hotspots or do you feel it may overly influence the color?

Second question on the 600. Now that I am using it extensively, I've noticed that it rewinds loose and has a somewhat weak rewind itself. Now I know the rewind tension should be controlled by the clutch on the take-up arm and know that it seems to require the takeup belt doesn't slip to allow that clutch to work. It isn't and I know the belt needs replacement since it slips badly. But the rewind supply tension, being gear driven, is also weak. Front clutch adjustment?

Just looking for the expertise I've always found here and thanks again.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree on the first comment, I feel very welcome around here as well. [Smile] Truth be told, I initially had fears of trying to break into some kind of rich, elitist community of dead-serious film collectors but have since found them to be unfounded. Yes, some of us have all the great feature films, some of us have limited incomes instead (*cough* me *cough*) [Wink] but that doesn't change the fact that we all share a love for film and all the little adventures that come with it. So, thanks from me as well, for all the good times I've had so far and look forward to having more of! [Smile]

Regarding your telecine question... I doubt that dimming the bulb's brightness would really help you since (as you already suspect) the color would turn very orange-ish for one thing - but you'd probably still have the hotspotting problem as well, plus your camcorder would be trying to compensate for the reduced light output and introduce more video noise in the process! [Eek!] Maybe your best bet would be replacing the bulb with a pure-white LED light source designed for home telecine (filming directly off the gate etc.)

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 30, 2005 07:40 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, I have sent you an e-mail which will hopefully help you with the 600 rewind problem. [Wink]

Rick Skowronek
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Rick Skowronek   Email Rick Skowronek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan and Tom, I got your email. That does help and I kind of thought that but it's nice to have the parts breakdown.

As to my telecine efforts (loose as they are) I appreciate that info Jan. Will start experimenting further but obviously don't want to destroy the normal functionality of the projector for my film collecting (someday). Has anyone seen any white light LED arrays that someone has put together? Just curious as to how they fitted them and got enough even light on the frame without bright spots from the individual LEDs. I presume some form of diffuser maybe.

Thanks again.

Rick

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 30, 2005 03:27 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how the thing works, but it definitely puts out a nice, uniform surface of light. Check out this page (unfortunately in German, but I can translate if you're curious). He does say that the original projector lamp can be replaced anytime you get sick and tired of your attempts at telecine and just need to watch a good movie. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC