8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Value Of "Way Out West" (MGM 1937) S8 Blackhawk Print (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Value Of "Way Out West" (MGM 1937) S8 Blackhawk Print
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 12:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take all aspects into consideration, and although Winbert's opinion has value, I will agree with Jan and John regarding the nature of eBay auctions.

I have seen Laurel and Hardy sound two reelers top $60.00 US dollars!
Trusted sellers with a reliable and good sales promotion, will attract more sales to repeat and future customers.

On the other hand, sellers that describe films as worthy of high prices, along with the inability to screen the film due to lack of projection equipment is something that steers me clear of bidding on common titles which have a high price.

That is not in any means criticism of any sellers, it's only how I respond to an auction. Nevertheless, if a seller can get a high price for an item, without the sales pitch, then all the more power to them.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Whittle it's very nice to see one of your posts of reply to me again since the 16mm forum days. We miss you there John.
I am beginning to think that it might be time to sell more of my Super Eight collection. At this point there is a market and later on there might not be. The entire thing like everything is based on supply and demand. What worries me the most is unavailability of projector parts like soundheads. I feel more comfortable with having more 16mm. I agree that somedays are better than others on e-bay. "Pardon Us" for $20.00 is outrageous for a Blackhawk feature with sound.

--Best, Tom

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, ive often thought of that. At the moment we would get some money back on our films but there will be a time,(and i truely believe its not too far away [Frown] ) that our collections will be pretty much worthless. I've had great fun with my films and still say i will NEVER sell them, however, i have to admit there isnt too much buying these days on my behalf.
Certainly for the main point of this post the L& Hardys generally do hold there prices very well here on the lists and films seem to be stable but just useing the recent loss at Derann of Duncan and not replacing him does tell you something dont you think. I guess thats what they call progress as we move into the digital age. Personally, as a hobby, i think digital sucks. As general entertainment and as of 2005's quality on disc we have to admit it takes some beating.
like steam trains we will always be around to show the true meaning of entertainment though [Wink]

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tom for your excellent thoughts! Also thank's Mike and everyone.

Regards, Tom

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of that very thought, (the says are numbered for super 8, or selling it). I must admit, as a collector on the, shall we say, lower end of the financial pool, All my Derrann films I've bought as of recently, I've bought second hand, and since most people that buy Derrann are collectors themselves, the prints I've recieved are VERY good, well loved prints. I couldn't afford a "Master and Commander", for instance.

and yet ...

I would have never thought that Derrann and Classic Home Cinema would still even be in business. I think what really needs to happen is some rich fella with super 8 connections should start a film distribution in america, as that would no doubt make the prints far more affordable for us americans and it would no doubt be a field day for our U.K friends!

Getting back to our beloved L & H, as others have said, it all depends on the day, who's seen it, and the like. If you put too high of a starting bid, your already screwed, nobody will bid, but honestly, I think most ebayers are becoming quite "seasoned", knowing how to watch things. For instance, I just bought a Eumig Magnetic/optical super 8 in near mint condition, for a paltry 50.00 dollars!

It's not the price though, we love Laurel and Hardy for what they mean to us personally, and that gives them the value. getting back what we paid for them, no matter what we paid, isn't likely to happen. Personally, whether I had a 16mm copy of a film or a DVD, I would still keep the super 8 if I were you.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC