8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is your Favorite Laurel and Hardy film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is your Favorite Laurel and Hardy film?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To start this off, I have to say one of thier shorts, "Towed in the Hole" While "Helpmates" is a close second, (Music Box is okay), there is this incredible silent era style gag where Stan drops a bucket of paint, by accident, on Oly's head, (ka-bonk! "Oooooh!) Oly climbs up. Stan sees him and does a double take. Knowing he's in trouble, he's scrambles off the boat, and then proceeds to peep from smaller and smaller holes up at the paint drenched Oly. He then finally comes back up, stares for a moment, and says, "Why do you have paint on your face?"

Oly starts to answer, stopping himself. Fade in to a shot of Stan with A BIG black eye.

... and by the way, excellent Blackhawk print of that un-cut short!

I can't help but be bowled over every time I see that!!!!

So, what's your favorite super 8 L & H moment?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's Fra Diavolo the comic opera. The scenes with the "earsie kneesie nosie" and "finger wiggle" sequences are a reel scream in fact the whole film is a scream. I have a Red Fox print of this feature and its stunning. My next fav is The Music Box....just brilliant. This one is a really nice BlackHawk print.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 09, 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a really nice Blackhawk print of "The Music Box" off E-bay last year. It is mounted on a single metal 800 foot reel and can inside one of those olive drab canvas covered cases with canvas straps and steel reinforced corners.

Am I right in guessing this print probably started out on 2x400'?

I find this movie get's funnier every time I see it, because I start bracing myself for the next mishap!

Favorite moment? When they find out they could have driven the piano up a back road instead of pushing it up the stairs, and then push it all the way back down the stairs so they can bring it up in the wagon!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 09, 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my all-time favorite L&H scenes are in "Below Zero" - the scene where they are just finishing their song, Ollie is shown in close-up belting out his last note with a cheerful smile when he suddenly gets hit by a snowball at the precise moment the song ends! Hilarious!
Or later, when the milk woman is having her way with the boys and Stan gets even by tossing her can of milk into the street - at which point Ollie starts laughing hysterically, pointing (in order) at Stan, herself, the road - and just having a ball with what just happened. His laughter is just infectious, it gets me every time [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah , if I'm correct, Blackhawk never got around to releasing any of L & H shorts on 600ft. reels. As far as I know, they only released 400ft. versions, and as in the "Music Box", it was a 2x400.

I'm betting that Blackhawk got ahold of the Hal Roach originals, which accounts for the incredible good quality of the prints, contrast and all. I've seen some downright AWFUL L & H's circulating out there!

Another favorite line (from "Brats")

(Stan speaking)

"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead!"

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 10, 2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Blackhawk released the L&H shorts as they were originally made - as one-reelers, two-reelers, etc. (each of the original reels corresponding to a super-8 400' reel, or about 20 minutes of film).
I do have one Blackhawk print of "Blotto" which came on 2x400' but the second reel was only about half full, so I was able to edit it together on one 600' reel. It is the complete version, and (shame on me) I've yet to watch it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 10, 2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Block-Heads & Bohemian Girl. I don't have either one. I bought a copy of Block-Heads in 16mm and it was missing about 10 minutes at the ending. The seller took it back! I have Babes In Toyland(16mm), Pack Up Your Troubles(16mm), Sons Of The Desert(Super 8), Pardon US(super 8). I also have a Blackhawk 16mm two reeler of the one where they play the wives. I can't remember the name of it, but it is quite bizarre.

[ August 11, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 10, 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

care to write up a review of Babes In Toyland? [Smile] Steven had that one for sale on super-8 and made me an irresistible offer... well, almost. I did turn it down because of 1. tight finances (sigh) and 2. I just didn't know whether or not I would like it. Have read many reviews, both good and bad [Eek!]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 10, 2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have "pardon Us" and though it's not ranked as one of thier best, (by critics), it is an immensely satisfying one.

Stan : Ollie, I'm scared!
Ollie : Why, there's nothing to afraid of.
Stan : But what about those other people ..."
Ollie : (laugh's) Hah, they were just laughing. You know, sometimes you really try my patience. Why, they could pull every tooth in my mouth and I wouldn't even feel it ..."

(naturally, the detist comes in and accidentily pulls Ollies tooth, which causes Ollie immense pain. He look to the screen, his tongue searching in his mouth, he nods to the audience, then slowlyturns to Stan after nodding to the audience.

Ollie : Why didn't you tell him?
Stan : I thouht you were laughing.

Pure magic! Incidentily, I'm really looking to buy "Pack Up Your Troubles" and "Blockheads" at sometime in the future, because SOME (#*@%!!!) in Australia never sent my copies which I PAID for LAST YEAR!!! GRRRRR!!!!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 10, 2005 10:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have "pardon Us" and though it's not ranked as one of thier best, (by critics), it is an immensely satisfying one.

Stan : Ollie, I'm scared!
Ollie : Why, there's nothing to afraid of.
Stan : But what about those other people ..."
Ollie : (laugh's) Hah, they were just laughing. You know, sometimes you really try my patience. Why, they could pull every tooth in my mouth and I wouldn't even feel it ..."

(naturally, the dentist comes in and accidentily pulls Ollies tooth, which causes Ollie immense pain. He look to the screen, his tongue searching in his mouth, he nods to the audience, then slowly turns to Stan after nodding to the audience.

Ollie : Why didn't you tell him?
Stan : I thought you were laughing.

Pure magic! Incidentily, I'm really looking to buy "Pack Up Your Troubles" and "Blockheads" at sometime in the future, because SOME (#*@%!!!) in Australia never sent my copies which I PAID for LAST YEAR!!! GRRRRR!!!!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2005 12:39 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough question, because I love all of the work of the boys.
Music Box, Brats, Busy Bodies, Night Owls and Hog Wild are perfect shorts.

But there are several moments that come to mind from other shorts:

1.) Chickens Come Home, the entire 3 reeler is an underrated, and fun from start to finish.
Classic Line, Stan to Mae Bush; 'Do you mind if I smoke?'
Mae to Stan: 'I don't care if you Burn.'

Ollie sings:'Someone is coming to my house.'
Best supporting player: The forever beautiful,and wonderful comedienne: Thelma Todd.

2.) Their First Mistake: sight gag with Stan and Babe, trying to alternately sleep, as the adopted Baby begins to cry. Stan unbuttons his night shirt, Ollie looks on in questionable amazement, Stan reaches into his nightshirt, Ollie looks on in shock and disbelief as if Stan is about to 'nurse' the baby, Stan pulls out a baby bottle with Milk and nonchalantly passes it to the baby for the night feeding.

3.) Any Old Port: The chase scene inside of the boarding house, while
Walter Long is aggressively pursuing the chamber maid into force marraige.
The Boys throw hardballs at his head and he doesnot feel a thing. The chase ensues with Long and The Boys with the Parson on hand to officiate the wedding, has the back of his head scalped by a fan on the shelf.

4.)Me and My Pal, the look of exasperation while Stan and Babe are waiting in the Taxi, because now the Taxi Cab Driver has forgotten to put down the jigsaw puzzle. Babe desperately needs to get to the wedding ceremony.

5.)They Go Boom: Stan rips the back of Ollies night shirt, exposing his bottom.

6.) Music Box: carrying the Piano down the stairs, after Charlie Hall informs them that they could have driven the wagon up the slope.
Supporting player Billy Gilbert as Professor Theodore Von Schwartzenhoffen, FA,FD, FDA, DDS,FA, FLD, FFF,&S, SHOULD WALK AROUND?
As well as the musical number in the Music Box.

7.) The Live Ghost: The entire short is great with misidentification of
Stan outside the window, while Babe thinks Stan is in the bunk next to him,
explaining to Stan, there's nothing to be afraid of, and Drunk Arthur Houseman says Hi! Suddenly Stan and Babe freak out, and chase each other around the ship, with the crew jumping overboard.
Some classic lines......

Stan: I think we killed him! Do you think he went to heaven?
Babe: No, I think he went to the other place. Get that sack and put some coal in it.
Stan: Do you have to bring your own coal when you go there?

8.) The Chimp, a fantastic 3 reeler!
The Circus is so down on its luck, that even the musicians playing the circus music (off camera) are overworked. The notes are out of tune, and the first part musican loses their lip, so now you only hear the second musicians part play the arrangement! It's a lead up to Stan and Babes antics that truly go out of control.
The Gorilla only listens to Stan, and admonishes Babe.
Later on...
The Gorilla is in the bunk with Babe-
Ollie to Stan: 'I thought I told you to clip your toe nails?'

9.) The Fixer Uppers: The Long Kiss with Stan and Mae Busch is a classic.
As Stan rolls his eyes upwards, I howl with laughter

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2005 06:08 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is Dirty Work. It's about Stan & Ollie cleaning a chimney. When they ring the doorbell the butler answers the door and they ask were the chimney is. The butler says you will find it in the room against the wall. Other key scene is when Ollie after many routines annouces to Stan I want to stay as far away from you as possible I'm going on the roof. Stan runs out of extention to the cleaning brush. Ollie calls down to Stan a little more. Stan replies he cant so Ollie says well put on another extension. Stan cannot find any and sees the gun of the wall and uses that. The result the gun fires and Ollie gets the result and falls off the roof. Excellent.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just aquired, (speak of the devil) the short Laurel and Hardy film, "Battle of the Century/Pie fight", super 8 sound, Blackhawk. While the picture is very good, and, being it was one of thier silents, it has a cute score added, the little five minute tidbit, (which, at least as of that time, was all that existed of this lost L & H) makes you swoon and wonder as to just how good this complete short would've been! It has this hilarious moment where a woman slip and lands (with it going up her dress into the "nether regions") on a pie. She gets this uncomfortable look, as she figits on the ground, only suceeding on no doubt getting more pie where more pie should never be in the first place. She eventually gets up and, as she's walking away, tries to shake a little more out! Hilarious!

From what I read about this short on the L & H internet site, they have been able to actually find a full reels worth of footgae to this short, but it's feared that the rest will never be found. Sadly, even if it's found, I doubt that it would be released on super 8, to be seen on the big screen, where it demands to be seen, (unless we could send a major outcry to Derrann!!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC