8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig sound problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig sound problem
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 16, 2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with a Eumig 824 that I recently won on eBay. Overall, the machine is in good shape and I'm sure the seller is reputable, so I'm hoping that it's a minor 'gremlin' that crept in during transit.

For some reason the only sound I'm getting is a buzzing sound. This comes through the internal, or an external, speaker and the volume depends on the position of the volume control. The position of the track switch makes no difference. For some reason, moving the recording controls or pushing the recording button sometimes causes a lot of noise, or temporarily gets rid of the buzzing. But even if there's no buzzing, there's still no sound.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 16, 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tough one Adrian! The only thing I can think of is that the machine may be stuck in the record position. Pull off the back cover, and then remove the flywheel by sliding off the E-RING. Now look at the area where the flexible cable from the red push-button switch comes all the way down to the circuit board. There is a little pivoting mechanism which slides a multiple contact switch underneath a metal shield. First make sure the whole linkage is working properly, and is not hung up, and that the contact slides in and out when you push on the red button. Also spray some electrical contact cleaner onto the sliding switch and work it back and fore a few times. Also check that the red button is releasing ok, and is not stuck in the depressed position, which would mean that the machine was permanently in record mode. Make sure the wire cable is clamped tightly in the set screws at both of its ends. The red button is supposed to release when the projector rotary switch is returned to the standby (not running) condition.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
You're a genius! Many thanks - your suggestion hit the nail on the head. I didn't even have have to remove the flywheel - a couple of squirts of cantact cleaner to the base of the recording switch mechanism immediately cured the problem.
I expect the guy who sold me the projector never pushed the red button, so never realised that it was liable to go wrong. Then, I probably pushed it to see if it was OK - before trying out the projector - and inadvertently caused it to get stuck.
If only every bad-sounding projector problem could be so easy to fix!
Thanks again,
Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure Adrian, glad it all worked out. When I posted my reply I thought it was a bit of a long shot, so I am really happy that my suggestion enabled you to fix the projector. As you know from the forum, I am a big fan of Eumig's, especially the 800's which are great little work horses.

Paul

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC