8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cine Shops. how well do they do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cine Shops. how well do they do?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We made a little note on this subject on another thread but as Colin said, i wonder how well cine does in a dedicated shop?
Certainly down here it would never get off the ground and we all know that Derann are the main flag fliers for super 8 but again, its a very samll part of there buisness.
Classic home cinema does have two shops but i wonder what percentage of buisness goes through the shop compared to mail order?
How about the Widescreen centre? Obviously they dont sell super 8 films,(i think) but is cine a large part of that buisness? We only ever had very few dealings with TWC so i cannot comment on any part of that company but Mr Shapps is clearly very very up on his product knolegde and has been around for a long time so therefore must have hadsome good 8mm days. Are they still Beaulie main dealers?
What ive always been surprised about is the size of the USA and yet the cine shops appeared to vanish over night. Are there any left at all over the pond? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,
Unfortunately I have not heard of any cine shops here in the USA. If there are any, I would like to hear of them.
Here in Orlando, there is still one shop where you can still buy Super 8 camera film, reels, splicers, and splicing tape, but that's about it, no cine equipment at all.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 17, 2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

We have a few camera shops in New York that carry a very limited Super 8mm camera/projector inventory at prices that are still rather high. Although there are (obviously) professionals and hobbyists that work in the format, the main reason for this is the number of film schools that have their students shoot on Super 8mm for their first year. I have only seen one store (Olden Camera) that had a few digests & cartoons for sale.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, super 8 was mostly a mail order business here. Used and new films were also bought and sold through trade papers.

[ October 25, 2009, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, how did Red Fox get its name? Anything to do with the comedien Redd Foxx?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe you were lucky to be able to wonder around there. I know they had some very good titles. I guess with the states being so imense in size it makes sense that most of them were mail order.
Its strange to think that in the late 70's and early 80's i could walk into Frampton cameras in Plymouth,(now Jssops) and Dixons, both shops around 200 yards from each other and pick films,mainly 400ft digests off the rack. These shops were in addition to our main dealer Roger Lily of many company names.
Roger was a full time buisness lecturer at Plymouth collage and although he was a super 8 buisness from home his company name changed like the wether. Movietoons, Movieland, movieland international, looney movies, to name but a few. A great bloke though and many of my films came from him.
I also remember going in town have a brouse in Dixons and if i saw something would go back home to let my brother know, get the dosh to buy it and it would be gone. (just like the lists today [Big Grin] )
When i was younger i use to imagine how many shops would be in the larger countries. Strange how it works.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 04:11 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, you lucky so-and-so. I was getting Red Fox's catalogue by mail and was only able to afford 1 or 2 digest per year but, man, I would spend hours browsing through that catalogue.
15 years ago, or so, I was traveling to London for business on a regular basis and had a room in Camden. I was therefore walking by Lee's Cameras each time. One day, I discovered they had U8 cutdowns for 12 GBP... And I went back into collecting!

We still have two major shops here, in Paris, one is mostly dedicated to cameras and projectors (and is called "Antiques Caméras"), the other is called "Ciné-BD" and has loads of films and comic books.
Both are a bit pricey (heck, what's not pricey in Paris nowadays?) but they feature a good selection of stuff (Found a still-sealed 400ft cutdown of "At the Earth's Core" recently) and the owners are rather nice people.

Ciné-BD's web page here

jm

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 05:21 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Classic Home Cinema at Cleethorpes is mentioned here and in another thread, saying it as two shops, where is the other please?

--------------------
Regards,
David

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what Dave? I've just been on their website but can only find the shop at Cleethorps but iknow there are two.Maybe someone can help her.
BTW, have to say the website is a whole better than i can remember. Quite a bit there to go on. Inote he has a sale but only in the shop. Bit odd that i think. [Confused]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...the fellow who ran Red Fox did let us come in and browse. I live in Manassas, Va. and would drive up to my fellow collector friends house in Hagerstown, Md....and then we'd drive up to Pennsylvania for a film buying binge. A wonderful time.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes been over on the other forum. Been some comments of this if you are interested. I have checked the website today and was baffled by this August sale to callers only. Narrows the customers somewhat, and in my case I would have a appox 150 plus miles journey to get there. Also checked the site for the newsletter but looks like March 05is the latest update. The download film lists date Mayo5.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul , I never did ask.

[ October 25, 2009, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC