8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » REJOICE WITH ME!! A NEW SUPER 8 MEMBER IN MY FAM!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: REJOICE WITH ME!! A NEW SUPER 8 MEMBER IN MY FAM!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 26, 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep!! In my collection, that is. It's a Eumig Mark s Magnectic/optical sound super 8. I amazingly, (don't cough up your food now), paid 49.00 dollars for this fully functional projector. Heck, that's literally a steal, and it's runs purrfectly quiet.

The real revelation on this projector, however, is the optical sound. I had owned a number of optical sound super 8's and quite frankly, the optical sound really wasn't all that hot, the magnectic being much better. WOW!! I had forgotten as to just how good optical sound, can sound. My Stereo Eumig has, of course, magnificent sound, but the optical/mag projector I just got has truly great optical sound.

It's kind of a shame, in a way, as I had just bought a Yashica mag/optic and the sound, while okay, was not all that great, and I paid 179.00 dollars for that one!

Every once in awhile, you can really luck out on ebay. This projector is certianly a keeper!!!

all the best folks!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 02:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi it does sound good. Exactly what model is that projector?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 05:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
If you got that Eumig from Ebay and the other one that more expensieve was also from Ebay....then another lesson was taken. When we are bidding, don't be too desirous. One day something better, cleaner, nicer, and cheaper will show up. I learn this...and try not to be in a great hurry clicking, especially during the last second to end. [Wink] [Razz]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, the "Mark S O+M Biton" is the 810. The Eumig 800 series is fantastic. Osi, this is an excellent catch, congratulations.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 07:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm, we have the standard 810 and the 822 sonomatic but never seen an opticl version. Weel done that man. [Wink]
Thanks for that info Jean. [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 27, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I'll buy that Yashica off you for $49 if you don't want it anymore...... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!! LET'S GIVE A BIG HAND TO JAN, WHO WILL BE APPEARING AT THE "8MM FORUM" ALL WEEK!!!

Actually, I will be re-listing, (potentially) that Yashica on ebay again, starting at 49.00, (I think a pretty good starting bid) and if it goes higher than that, I'll be at least getting back my cost for the Eumig (droooool) plus part of the Yashica back. It's in pretty good shape, quite honestly, except for one curious defect.

Although the Eumig is a much better projector, the Yashica is nearly whisper quiet. The Eumig has a slight sound to it when it runs.

The amazing thing about that Eumig, (despite everything I have already said,) is that it also came with two extra "exciter" lamps, (the optical sound lamps, for those un-initiated) as well as a WHOLE EXTRA SOUND HEAD ASSEMBLY (housing both mag/optical sound systems), so that if the mag or sound should go bad, I can completely replace them. It also came with the original manuel, (sometimes hard to come by in a sale) and the original mic for audio recording.

As I said, I think this Eumig is clearly the best projector deal I have ever gotten. The other Eumig 926 stereo projector, (it only cost 89.00!!) would have to be the second best deal.

I tell you, at least, from a collectors viewpoint, getting back into it. Ebay is a goldmine of opportunities!! I think for the collector that has loved thier prints heavily, it's actually a horrible sin, as we are finding, (as stated in an earlier post elsewhere ... the "Way Out West" one), that we just can't get near what we originally paid for our prints or what we'd just like to get.

I think that the only ones that really come near are a number of the Derrann titles, as the quality is top notch. I think, though, no modern super 8 collector has stained glass images of super 8 collecting. We're pretty much realists. We blow our cash on something that will, for the most part, only be valued by us. Tht's why, some far date in the future, I will disperse my collection to those super 8 collectors still in existence as of that time, instead of letting my family inherit them, when I know they'd only sell them for pennies to someone who really couldn't give a damn about them. (gasp, the very thought!)

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 27, 2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen. [Smile]

Looking forward to the eBay listing... I've always wanted to hear what super-8 optical sound sounds like (I know 16mm optical is pretty darned good), and I do have one short (600') educational film on hunting which has optical sound, my only super-8 film of that sort. Makes a nice silent film, but I want the full experience, dag-gone-it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure sounds like you hit a gold mine with that Eumig M/O Osi! And to get a spare sound head assembly as well- wow!
I have never seen the M/O, they are pretty rare, but of course the same solid design as the rest of the Eumig 800 family. I only have one optical print in my collection. Played on my GS1200, the sound quality is quite acceptable, but nowhere near the quality you can get off the magnetic stripe. The big advantage of optical of course, is that the head cannot wear out, and you get none of that oxide dust generation as it goes thru the machine. Too bad more films were not released with optical tracks.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 12:01 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, it sounds like you may have the same filma s I do, I just recently required, (yes, also with the Eumig) two hunting films, "Big Game Almanac" (25 minutes) and "Lost Hunter" also optical sound and 23 minutes long. They are really very "campy" (bad joke), but fun.

But, be careful, optical sound film collecting may be in your future .... beware Jan, beware!! I onlt started a year ago and I'm already up to 25 feature film prints. I could start you out on your first one .... "Conduct Unbecoming" A good british film release starring Micheal York, Christopher Plummer and Richard Attenborough, plus, (no kidding) the woman who played the bald women in Star Trek The Motion Picture, but this time, with hair!
20.00 dollars is all, and that is because it does have a Eastman fade, but still has plenty of color, especially, for some reason, once you get past the first 16 minutes. Just thought I'd offer it.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 28, 2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but somehow I was never interested in that movie [Roll Eyes] No great risk of me starting another collection either, as my income simply doesn't allow it (speaking of which, I must spend time on putting up some eBay listings tomorrow)...
As for my hunting film, I just remembered the name of it: "Before You Hunt" ... it appears to be from the late 1970s.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the magic of Ebay.

A few week ago a GOOFY'S GOLDEN GAGS. VOL 1 was sold for GBP 16 (item # 6417451386)
(URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6417451386)

Just couple days after, the same item AND PLUS two other 400 Disneys, i.e. Mickey and His Friends & Mickeys Memorable Moments were sold ONLY GBP 5.51 (Item number: 6424699403)
(URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6424699403

So, the 3 x 400 prices are cheaper than one reel!!!

Another story is here:

Couple times I found the Road Runner and similar items were sold for around GBP 6.50 (e.g.Item number: 6417269311)
(URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6417269311)

But then 4 x Road Runners + Bugs Bunies) were also sold for GBP 6.01! See (URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6424701689). It means price of 4 is lesser than 1!

I notice in German Ebay breaking the reels tend to lower the overall price. But the opossite hapeneed in UK Ebay.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep!! Ebay is all about timing, that is for sure, and who just happens to be on at the present time. Some folks (like myself) don not have the option of being on at all times when we'd like to!

All the best

OSI

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC