8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Phils vintage movies and projectors????`

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phils vintage movies and projectors????`
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 10:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a good site i stumbled across here.
Films and projectors old and newish. My question is where does this web site originate? i.e, is Phil Johnson a forum member? The reason i ask is the films for sale are very good titles but the prices seem very high, (an Elmo ST1200HD for $999.00) which i would assume is down to the poor $ Vs the £.

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not trying to slam Phil, but there is the question of logic. If you can get an ST1200hd off ebay and replace the belts all for under $500.00 in most cases, than why charge that much more for it. There aren't many places that do the servicing anymore, with parts other than belts hard to come by. There was a dealer from NY a few years ago. I've seen ST1200 single track mag only models listed for $1,200.00. Sorry, but I said see ya later on that one.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil is based in Texas. I have dealt with him, and have been entirely satisfied. The thing about Phil is that he delivers only the best quality of films or projectors, thus the high prices.. The projectors that he sells have been completely serviced and are usually in mint condition and guaranteed to function perfectly- something you will not get on ebay.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noted that too, (being pricey), but he does have some titles that are rather rare from elsewhere. Personally, I would wait at most times to see if someone else comes up with better prices on ebay.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul, you can buy with complete confidence from Phil. I've also questioned him in detail about an item on the phone and he's very friendly and knowledgeable. With his website he can afford to wait and get his price for things... You can't blame him, after all, he is running a business.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i guess that backs up the theory that you get what you pay. If he is sucssesful and people are happy to pay then i guess that will continue. Good stuff is hard to get these days in the cine world.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil is one the last of the good dealers; I've bought and traded with him for some twenty years - His films are incredibly excellent - Prices refelct the market, many items are very hard-to-locate these days - He's one of the best - Shorty

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have purchased from Phil. Can't fault him. Whether it's because of his obvious religious beliefs, I can't say, but I can't help feeling that it must have something to do with his high moral attitude and helpfulness. I have to agree with the other comments here. He is certainly of the highest integrity, and I for one, don't mind paying for a little bit of honesty - though I don't see it like that - rather I like to think I am getting 110% in terms of service, satisfaction and top-notch quality. I haven't been disappointed.

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 30, 2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very good to me.
Hopefully if i can save some pennies i'll keep my eye on him. I noted he has a copy of the Elephant man for sale. Unfortunatly my time for buying isnt now but that is a great film and brilliantly acted throughout. Its a rare find on 8mm. A good Derann release from some years back altough if i remember right it was released on colour stock so i'm not sure what the picture is like.
Thanks to all for letting me know more about the dealer. I've now added them to my favourites. [Wink]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't use PAYPAL anymore - got burned, but if/when Phil is set up to take credit/charge cards...Whoa! I'm in trouble! I'll probably buy a ton.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 31, 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what Brad. I've just checked his site again and he does take credit cards. [Wink]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2005 01:01 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but only through escrow services and there is a fee for doing so. I don't like escrow services. They're not trustworthty. When something goes a wry...it's always the buyers' fault never the services. In the case of PAYPAL, I wife and I got burned for over $300US because someone used a stolen credit card #. So, instead of going after the scoundrel they charged back my wife and I (we were the sellers in the EBAY auction) AND they charged us a fee on top of it. NEVER, NEVER again will I and use an escrow service and we are certainly not about to furnish bank account #'s - not to them - not to anyone. How risky can you get. Someone gets a hol do fthat and you're done for.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 03, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Bummer!! [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC