8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Can one day a projector correct a red print?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can one day a projector correct a red print?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a too naive question. But as a collector, no one loves a faded print like this:

-

But with today's technologies this image can be corrected. I am dreaming that a projector one day can also correct the same case. What do you think?

-

I am just dreaming that there is a bulb connected to a high technology machine so can ray different type of light. Therefore it is corrrecting the red prints.

Abracadabra.....all my red prints are now enjoyable! [Razz]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2005 03:47 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The short answer is no -- you can't put back color that isn't there...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 28, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed - and there is a world of difference between just using a bluish/greenish source of light vs. actual digital restoration. (I can sort of tell that the above result was achieved by filtering out the deep yellowish tint, then increasing the contrast and color saturation on what remained.)

You can put a tinted filter in front of your projection lens, and it may improve things depending on the amount of fade in your print, but it will never look the same.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 28, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is too bad. I have a print of Gorky Park (1983) AND BECAUSE OF BAD PROCESSING OR SOMETHING, THE FILM ALREADY HAS A PINKISHNESS!!! FRAK!!

As Jan said, if the fade isn't too bad, then different filters can help, but never return faded color. Alas

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 28, 2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, where did this picture of an 8mm film come from anyway? I just now noticed the frame is exposed all the way over the sprocket holes. That's unusual. [Smile]

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2005 09:18 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a number of old Regular 8 cameras that exposed all the way to edge of the film.

There was a guy that obtained a patent for a treatment to bring back the color in faded prints. Since the patent was granted over five years ago and we've heard nothing of it yet (although you can find it in the US Patent Office) it doesn't appear to have made much of a "hit". Various techniques have been used to rescue faded film, they're all costly and require a great deal of work which means it's hardly practical for the home user. The first stage is the slow turning of the cyan dye in the film to clear resulting in a reddish image and loss of total density. Other dyes follow in time. A 1983 print is now 22 years old and if made on regular rather than the low fade stock it's not surprising it turning. Storage also plays a part in fading and since most of us haven't hard our prints from day one, we have no idea what they may have been subjected to.

I have an old NTA Eastman color print of a George Pal cartoon that is so faded that there is only a light yellow image left! (Probably printed by Perfect Pathe in Hollywood in the 60s).

John

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 28, 2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gawd... it makes me wish Eastman had never ever happened. [Mad]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 29, 2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I aqree Jan, Eastman has been a blight for the film collector, but then, the collector can be as responsible, but honestly, I don't think any of us has the education about the properties of film, (for the most part) twenty years ago. I bought that "Gorky Park" print from Dave Thomas Films, and I know him to be a collector to, but I'd be willing to bet that he didn't store the films in a cool dry place. He's noted that many of his optical sound super 8 prints are showing a slight or more fade now. That is why I refridgerate in a safe moisture free bag, so that, ten or twenty years from now, I may be the only person with good optical sound super 8's left in the world!

THEY'RE MINE ..... ALL MINE!!! BOO HOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC