8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon SP-330MV -- Yea or nay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon SP-330MV -- Yea or nay?
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there consensus on the quality of the Chinon SP-330MV (super 8, 600' reel capacity)? Any known problems to watch out for? Does anyone have one that they love? SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 17, 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truthfully? I have one and yes, I do love it, but the general consensus seems to be that Chinon is one of the lesser-respected brand names... and that this projector likes to misthread films and chew them up (according to other owners). I've never experienced anything like this, though.

The beauty is... my particular SP-330MV used to have crackly sound, but it's been suggested elsewhere that if the recording mode on a projector was never used before, the internal contacts of the record switch might be weak from grime and dirt, and repeatedly pressing and releasing that switch will help clear things up again and restore the sound. I did just that and IT WORKED. [Smile] (So to those suggesting it... thank you!!)

I do like the simple functionality of my Chinon... everything feels solid and works reliably. The lamp is easy/cheap to replace, and the lens is quite good too (1:1.3 zoom lens). It just tends to be a tad loud at the 24fps setting, but that's not a big deal.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the insight, Jan. I appreciate it. SGB

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 18, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a problem. [Smile] Is there a particular Chinon SP-330MV you're looking to purchase? Did someone make you an offer? If so, don't spend more than about $100 on it... it is after all a rather basic machine without too many bells and whistles.

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Jan, there is one up for sale on ebay right now, allegedly in "new" condition, but the bidding is already up to $200 and that seemed a bit steep to me. I should just save my pennies for an Elmo, eh? SGB

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 18, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... too much. $200 should at least get you an Elmo ST-180E or so. [Wink]

If you'd rather start off cheap and still get the Chinon, would you be interested in mine? I have too many projectors as it is, and could actually use the money. [Eek!] Send me a PM if interested...

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PM is on the way, Jan. SGB

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC