8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Boundin" Cartoon on Super-8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Boundin" Cartoon on Super-8
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the cartoon "Boundin'" shown on the "Incredibles" DVD is yet available on Super-8 (Hmmm Duncan!)?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 03, 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe so, however I would gladly sell my wife's entire family into slavery for a print of Pixar's "Gerry's Game" on Super-8.

(In all fairness I'd do the same for a good cup of coffee!)

Regrettably, Duncan has moved on to other things.

I'm not very big on features, but if The Incredibles came out on Super-8 I'd find the money somewhere!

[ October 03, 2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2005 03:55 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Derann have just announced that Boundin' is a New Release in Scope and is in stock priced at £21.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great......... I don't own a scope lens for my CHINONs or my EUMIG........ Argggg [Frown] . I can't win...........

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 17, 2005 01:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... Join the club, Brad. I did get a scope lens but now need some way of placing it in front of my projector!! [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2005 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that Derann would choose to make this a 'scope print. According to the IMDB it's 16:9 (stated 1.85/1). Other 16:9 films (ex: Gone Nutty) were printed flat and work just fine. They don't use the full 4:3 frame, but still look great.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0395479/technical

If you don't have a 'scope lens, get one! 'Scope is a blast!

[ October 17, 2005, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Steve,

You've got to think of the source for the 8mm prints, as Boundin' was on the front of the Scope "Incredibles" gfeature in the cinemas, so I'll leave you to work it out why it's in Scope (most probrbly aboy 2/1 ratio, I would imagine).

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 17, 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Possibility!,

I guess that means it's probably cropped top and bottom a little to fit the 'scope aspect ratio. Fine by me, I really enjoy projecting 'scope. However, since I normally project on a 16:9 screen, that's actually my optimum aspect ratio.

Unfortunately life was a little full at the time The Incredibles came out (No, Wait...It still is!), so I never saw it in the Cinema. We're currently working on seeing Wallace and Gromit, and have slim hopes!

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So.... Where does one get a scope lens,hmmmmmmmm?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2005 02:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are usually quite a few on E-bay (search under "anamorphic lens"). Mine is a Sankor 16-F, which is among the cheaper ones out there. It is fine for projection, but since it is of smaller diameter it is not very good in front of a camera (causes vignetting unless the camera is zoomed way out to telephoto)

There are often 16-Fs on E-bay which were modified for video transfer. These are almost completely useless for projection because they focus at like 3 feet. I took a chance on one of these and other than the bracket it came with all I got was a bizzarre doodad for my desk! (I use the bracket for the regular 16-F I bought later) The modification is radical, as in the lens being at least an inch shorter, so there is no way to "fix" them. Plus: I think they ran out of brackets!

Getting the lens is half the battle, fixing it in front of the projector is another. There have been commercially made brackets that affix to the projector, and some folks even get by with stacks of books and bags of rice to prop it in place (especially early on). I've built an inclined plane with a front shelf on it which holds the projector and lens(mounted in the right angle bracket)aligned and tilted up towards the screen. It's primitive, but is doing the job. I am sure there are many other ways out there.

[ October 19, 2005, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded Boundin from the Apple website for £1.89. Glad I did.
One advantage will be to extract the soundtrack to transfer to the Derann release as I have yet to find a recent release with as good a sound track .........go on surprise me Derann......

Just won't be quite the same on Saturday without old Ginger Nuts

--------------------
Tony

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve im positive that Gerrys game is out on super 8. Derann released it some time ago.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 23, 2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Interesting!

I'll have to check it out!

Follow Up: I asked Gary at Derann about it. He said that preliminary work was done to bring Gerry's game out on Super-8, but unfortunately before it was completed Disney's negative was damaged and the project had to be cancelled.

This is a real shame! What a delightful, light hearted, intriguing little film!

[ October 24, 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a slightly related issue, the man who does the narraration to "Boundin", did the narraration to the optical super 8 sound feature "Starbird and Sweet William", a nature film, which isn't a suprise, as he did the same kind of job for Disney, "Charlie the Lonesome Cougar" and such.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC