8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Amps for S8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amps for S8
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how well can you record multichanel sound tracks on to the super 8 stripe and have them decode. I would guess that Dolby Pro Logic II would be the best that is possible, or is it better to stay sterio?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 11:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll get Dolby Stereo from the machine you make the recording on. Playing the re-recorded film on any other machine will give substantial leakage between the channels but still gives a wrap-around Dolby Stereo effect.

Just try a recording on a bit of leader and run it back. You'll get an immediate idea of what is possible. But beware, stripe varies and you should always check down the leader of each reel before committing.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John,
Been considering getting a surround sound amp especially as the quality of the new releases justify it, I can sync to DVD but I have been more than happy with the quality of the stereo re-recordings I have done. Seeing as my stereo amp has just packed I wasn't sure wether it was worth the extra to go for a 5.1 set up.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2005 03:34 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Your stereo is pure Left and Right (L R). Dolby Pro-logic starts as four channels Left, Center, Right and Surround (mono) and is encoded thru a matrix to Lt Rt (that's left total and right total). When it's decoded, it returns to LCRS when the matrix sums and differences the Lt Rt signals.

5.1, 6.1, DTS are digital formats and not matrixed to fewer channels and have stereo surround and a sub base channel (5.1) and three surrounds (6.1).

You can record the Dolby Prologic is the film is already encoded into two channels (the output from a DVD player with a L and R will be a prologic source.

You might as well get a 5.1 amp since most today will decode the 5.1 froma digital coax stream from the dvd player as well as DTS and 6.1.

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 04, 2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, why not go for the full pulse sync job film and Dvd. Master and Commander sounds great that way [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2005 03:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get yourself an amp capable of DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX. This has a matrixed rear channel giving a total of three channels at the back. Richer Sounds had a Marantz amp, a 4600 I believe, for £150 that decoded these sound systems. There are others but the Marantz sounds rather nice for the money. Originally I think it was £400.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2005 04:22 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Kev that has crossed my mind more than once!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 05, 2005 05:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it Mark. Johns suggetsion above is a good one. Try Richer Sounds they do have some very good offers.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC