8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical Sound Question /w/ Elmo ST1200 Series machine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optical Sound Question /w/ Elmo ST1200 Series machine
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious if faded optical sound prints might have impact on threading via autoload. I've adjusted head pressure with the tension spring behind the optical bulb. The sound when it plays, goes between good sound with nice treble, to bad wobble sound with low treble.

Upon examining in play mode, there's quite some slack around the optical assembly as the film runs.

This has nothing to do with my Towers, as I have checked these machines with the machine arms holding the reels.

As it happened recently, I simply used my finger and pulled down the bottom loop to make it bigger by one or two sprockets. and this seemed to have quite a better difference.

This problem has been noted on both machines I use, therefore, I suspect print quality being the issue.

It is also noted that magnetic sound film autoloads and plays just fine. These machines do have a mechanical difference between mag and optical sound, that being in optical mode the mag head pressure is reduced.

Any information is greatly appreciated to this. While I use the 1200HD units, those who run optical with the GS1200 might want to pay attention to this as well. Let's see if there's a connection.

In the next few days I'll run one of my better color optical prints. And maybe that will help me figure this out.

CG

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could give some valid good advice on that optical sound. I don't have a GS1200HD, so I couldn't judge how it works personally. Every once in awhile I'll run into a problem with a print aparrently loading wrong and getting that "wobble" to the sound. It's certianly not with the print.

I wouldn't think that the color fade of a print would affect the sound much or any as it's an optic or light sensitive sound system. perhaps if the print was highly faded, (from straight black to a high reddish/pink) perhaps it could, but I've never ran into that.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 04:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant see a print with fade being any different to a normal colur print as far as running it thru a projector is concerned.
Fade is purely the lose of colour and nothing else, [Wink]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 15, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Chip it sounds like the sort of problem you get when the pinch roller etc gets shiny. You get less grip on the film.

Film fade wont be causing problems unles the sound overall is very very low but it wouldnt tend to vary.

Kev.

[ October 15, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC