8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to avoid being taken for a mug?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to avoid being taken for a mug?
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.
I'm new to this but must start by saying thanks for posting such a wealth of information and opinion. At the risk of re-igniting the "which projector is best?" argument, it seems that the machine of choice would be a 3rd generation GS-1200 and that's what I'm trying to convince myself, my girlfriend and my bank manager to hunt down and buy.
Is e-bay the only way to find one, given that the winning bids seem to vary from half-decent to just plain silly money without, apparently, a huge variation in model/condition? If so, and here's the rub, how do I avoid being stitched up? I don't want a "bargain" but neither do I want to be made a monkey of.
Sam.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used eBay to acquire my GS-800, but I always planned to put an additional couple hundred bucks into having it professionally refurbished. You'll pay more if you buy from a dealer, but you can be more sure of getting a recently-maintained machine. On eBay, who knows? I'd check with Derann, Classic Home Cinema, BFCC to see if they have what you want. So even if you win a GS1200 on eBay for 250 quid, you may still have to throw in another 100 more for cleanup.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay is a good way to buy if you create a dialogue with the seller and "feel" him out. Another way, and the best way is to see if anyone on this forum has one. Most of us have more than one! (Not me but at one time I did have 3 ! 2x Xenons and one halogen)
However even if you have a machine that is dead mint..they will still eventually need some work. I sold a mint GS and then when it arrived.. the speed board went bad. It was something that I could never have forseen as it was running perfectly since day one. I replaced the board and forwarded it to the seller. My current machine is in very good shape and just the other day a transistor went out on the voltage convertor board. So the take up reel was moving slowly.
So expect on spending between 600-1200 US and then IF need be some minor fixes along the way. And remember that if the machine looks very clean, most likely it will be a good one. There are a handful of machines that were out here in the US that were used in Adult Movie theaters (I cannot confirm this but am relating a story told to me once) and those machines have had a hard life. They look beat and they perform...beat.
Good luck to you.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I'm biting my tongue not to make light of those last two lines. [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, let's not rule out those great Eumigs! I've got two definite keepers, one for stereo super 8 and one for my optical sound collection.

If you are dead set on a GS 1200 (It think It's a "d") ebayer "abctoy" a reputable dealer, started one out at 250.00 dollars american a couple of days ago and it's probably still on ebay, I don't know what t's up to now, but look on ebay for seller "abctoy" and then look up his auctions.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 14, 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan! [Smile]
ABCTOY is very trustworthy. I have had some dealings with him and its all good. He will stand behind his products.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2005 03:45 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

I think also you have got to consider how much you want to pay for a good machine, now I have 2 very nice Sankyo 800 Stereo machines for sale at the moment, they have a 10w per channel stereo output through external speakers, they run very nice, have an excellent loading mechanism, and have the handy 800 foot reel maximum take up. If you want to have a look at my prices then go to B.F.C.C. Site an follow the link to the Independent 8 pages. This may sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, but in the end it all comes down to money, and what we really can afford, a 3rd series GS is a lovely machine, but how long will you have to wait to find one, and in good condition too!

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to you all for such prompt replies and thank you, Barry, for introducing me to the BFCC site! I'll do my damnedest to get to downtown Ealing next week. My heart is still, possibly foolishly, set on an Elmo, as a wealth of opinion points to it being Gillette ("the best a man can get").
I know they're old, I know they're rare and I know they're pricey but shucks they look fantastic! So it appears I'll have to bide my time whilst regularly scouring that cursed online auction and steering clear of sneezing chickens.
Thanks again to you all and I'm now addicted.
Sam

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC