8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The BFCC 50th. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The BFCC 50th.
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 02:42 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll really look forward to that Paul. Let's make sure we all meet up before the BFCC next time. You'll probably have to come round to see the HTI at it's best - just bring your sunglasses! And get the pilot to stop in New York to pick up Alan and Doug on your way over.

Good news that Wilma's a wimp.

And Kevin, in case you ask the German cartoon in the morning show was "The Weathered Melody" (I think) and is available from Classic.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A huge thank you from me to Keith Wilton, John Clancy & all the helpers involved in organising this event which I can honestly say I feel was superb in every way. I watched most of the shows and enjoyed every minute of the variety & content across all the guages. Meeting lots of you and having a chat was a pleasure I will certainly repeat again at the next BFCC.
One question though - what is the title of the German cartoon in the first show? Definitely one I'd like to own & watch again.
Kevin

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2005 04:57 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very good time too. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay all that long, so I didn't see any of the shows. I spent all my pocket money on the very first print that I saw (a 16mm scope print of the French feature 'Shoot the piano player'). So, within 5 minutes I didn't have to worry anymore about how to spend it wisely.
I managed to haggle £20 of the print and all of that money was spent on S8 cartoons from Ian's bargain bin. These were much appreciated by the little ones!
Only being there for 2.5 hours, didn't leave enough time to chat with people. That was a shame. I promise to stay longer in May!

- Rob

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 01:54 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pleasure to meet up with forum members Chris,Tony,Kevin,Mel,John and Kevin. went to more film shows this time but managed to have a tour round the dealer stalls. I thought the projection at the shows were spot on. I enjoyed the 70mm show as well. Many thanks to Keith W, John & Suzie C, John B and Mark W for such a great day and for all your work in making this 50th event one to remember. This is the wife's 2nd trip to Ealing and she enjoyed the day as well. She did however manage to slip out to do some shopping as well for an hour or so.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 26, 2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why's that Colin? Wasn't there enough things for her to buy you inside the hall? [Big Grin] [Wink]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 07:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just updated the web site with all the photos and information on the past events pages. I've nicked Jean-Marc's and Kevin's pictures from here as they were rather good and combined those into the overall look into Saturday.

I've put more information up this time than usual as it was the 50th convention and there was (even) more going on than usual.

I wonder if it will make it into the next issue of "Small Format"?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 27, 2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Amazing pictures! I wish I could've been there.

Could you tell us more about "THE MEN BEHIND THE MOVIES" DVD? I'm sure it's of interest to practically everyone on this forum.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff John! But just one question- how on earth did Ben Wales transport that huge 70mm machine to Ealing, and how did you get it moved into the hall?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 11:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, Ben brought all the hardware along in a van. It's not an insignificant undertaking moving such equipment - even the Super 8 projectors don't take well to being taken into the Ealing Town Hall. I suppose it's all the knocks they inadvertantly get en route and being put up onto the stands etc.. So he took a heck of a risk with what must be extremely valuable. And it's not the first time he's gone to all that effort for us all either.

Doug, with regards to the DVD Keith and I have just been discussing putting more information up onto the web site. He's going to send me over scans of lots of the stuff that's in the video and I'll put something together. This release covers the hobby up to the mid-eighties approximately but the next part will still have to go back and cover other aspects of the years already featured. There's loads of package movie box covers, projectors (shown running), Super 8 film clips (actually taken from Super 8 but you think you're watching something lifted off a dvd), interviews with the people who made the hobby happen (Perry's Movies, Super 8 cut-down film editors, original organizers of the BFCC's etc.) and just about everything else any self-respecting film collector would want to know about.

I've watched this disc 5 times already and I've got a yen to watch it again. The next part is going to include the 50th BFCC so lots of filming was done on Saturday as a result.

Oh forgot, anyone who enjoyed the footage on Saturday featuring the early days of the BFCC, much of it is on the disc.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 11:13 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had a great time at the BFCC. Bought some film and empty spolls in cans though I didnt buy any features this time around.
I also purchesed Filmtek's latest release called 'home movies'.
My main moan is that the ealing events are not 6 months apart. There is a too bigger gap between October and the May convention. The problem is there is other events in april like the group 9.5 spring fair.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 11:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your main moan? What other moans have you got then Graham.

Glad you had a good time but the schedule of the events has to suit us otherwise we can't put them on. Thanks for coming but upsetting to hear you have a set of moans. Disappointing after all the stress, effort and expense.

--------------------

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very wet behind the ears regarding this business and consequently attended the BFCC on Saturday without talking to anybody for fear of having my head forced down the lav by the "old boys".
Have owned an S8 camera for a few years and only found this forum accidentally whilst searching for an alternative to the tired old Eumig silent projector I bought "as seen" from the local camera store.
Oh, how my horizons have broadened and, unfortunately, how my bank balance has suddenly appeared woefully inadequate.
I'm an actor and a projector was only ever a means to an end - to view the results of my filmic dabbling. I never imagined that one could watch "real films" in one's own house. Of course there's "home cinema" or whatever the dvd salesmen (or women) want to call it, but that simply is not cinema.
I discovered you lot and, thanks to Barry Attwood, learnt about the imminent shenanigans in Ealing. Apologies to our friends from across the Pond, but after a bacon butty and a brief flit through the Saturday paper, the prospect of driving all the way over to Ealing (we live in S.E. London) seemed less than attractive. Nevertheless, I'd said I'd go and with the promise of a payback trip to Kew, was able to convince my better half to accompany me.
Didn't talk to anybody. Didn't stay for more than a couple of hours. For the first half an hour thought that the bring and buy section was the whole thing as, after you'd bought a ticket, that room seemed to be the only direction to head in. Then discovered the projection room and the main sales levels.
Was absolutely bowled over.
Thank god we (intentionally) took next to no cash. Our first foray into the world of Super 8 projection was, as a try out, a couple of 400ft second hand edits - American in Paris and Sweet Charity - and a compilation of Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy shorts. Why, on earth, do the Germans refer to them as Dick and Doof?
Because of prior engagements we missed the stuff that you're all excited about (M&C, the converted GS, the 70mm etc..) but believe you me, simply the very basic Xenon "Jaws" show got us hooked. That evening, we sat down in our knocked-through lounge (maybe 30ft long) and watched our new acquisitions. The screen was too small and will have to be replaced. The Eumig died (on the final rewind) and will have to be replaced. Both of our necks hurt from looking up at the fantastic image in front of us. These we cannot replace.
So thank you to all involved. Next time I will be staying longer, plucking up the courage to speak to some of you and, of course, spending a whole lot more. When we're bankrupt, our solicitors will be contacting you.
One question: In the bring and buy area there were two GS1200s for sale. One was a series 3 that had been overhauled, selling at £795. The other was an earlier version and had no price tag. (You will not believe how impressive I thought I sounded as I explained to my partner that the only sure way to differentiate was the directional pointing of the loop lever - thank you, Kevin.) Did either of them sell and for what price?
Dear Santa, I WANT A PROJECTOR!!!!!
Thanks again to you all.
Sam
P.S. Derann has a trailer for Zulu for sale. Does anybody know of or own a complete print of this, maybe my fav, film?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 03:44 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam. you should have made youself known. Because of distance we dont do that many ourselves but next time i do come up there i reckon we should all wear a first name only badge, even if only for a laf. I think the dealers could do that. Must be a few customers not familiar with some dealers. I had no clue what Barry looked like, i was asking every one. We met on the stairs, sounds like a movie dont it [Big Grin] (comedy that is [Wink] )
I wonder how many other people in the digital world have forgotton what a reel movie is and how good it is to watch one.
How else can we promote this medium to the unknown?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam. you should have made youself known. Because of distance we dont do that many ourselves but next time i do come up there i reckon we should all wear a first name only badge, even if only for a laf. I think the dealers could do that. Must be a few customers not familiar with some dealers. I had no clue what Barry looked like, i was asking every one. We met on the stairs, sounds like a movie dont it [Big Grin] (comedy that is [Wink] )
I wonder how many other people in the digital world have forgotton what a reel movie is and how good it is to watch one.
How else can we promote this medium to the unknown?

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Dunno how the word can be spread to the everyone, but I'm doing my damnedest to bore the pants off my pals about it.
Once I've donned my black roll-neck, evaded the security cameras, avoided the pressure sensitive floor and beguiled the impressionable receptionist in order to relieve the Bank of Monte Carlo of its gold bullion (dreamer, me?), I intend to purchase a top-notch sound projector, an enormous screen, an anamorphic lens (pending advice) and a pop-corn making machine in order to stage my own little Cinema Paradiso in Charlton (S.E.London).
This year 300-ish visitors to the BFFC, next year - the world.
Sam

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Sorry we did not meet up I know that the day goes to fast and by the time you go round the stands and try to see the programs as well the dsys gone. I did suggest to the wife before she went for her shop that it was better to spend the money on one of the GS's but strangly enough she did not seem to share my views. Maybe next time.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read and re-read all of the posts here with great interest and perhaps I can just add my thanks and appreciation to all of the team behind the BFCC. It was indeed a great event and I was only sorry to have had to leave before the 70mm show. Unfortunately the BFCC falls at the start of half term and I must negotiate a delay to the kids holidays!

Even better was to put the faces to some of the forum names.

Sam, welcome. I understand your concerns and even now after only a few years I still find myself in awe at the amount of knowledge these guys have but they are very approachable and certainly put up with my dumb questions.

It was a relief that the much threateaned assasination of Kevin (Mr Elmo) by the "anti-Ealing mafia club" didn't take place afterall and together with the now infamous Bill Parsons lives to repair another Elmo.........

The highlight of the day (apart from Ian of Perry's giving away films for free and being enthusiatic about extending his growing collection of vinegar prints) was certainly the film shows that were nothing short of superb.

HTI? Where can I get one.....after robbing the bank......

Keith, John and Co please keep up the excellent work....

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we touched on this topic before..but does anyone think the HTI is TOO bright? I have a 20 ft throw and a 9 foot picture roughly. Would I be blinded by having an HTI? Also...I wonder how the Beaulieu is able to keep both speakers with their mod? I don't normally hook up an external amp/speaker so I would miss the other speaker. Ideas? Buehler?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 03:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, I put the 'Scope print of Halloween on last night and as far as I'm concerned the HTI 250 lamp is not too bright. Having said that I think it must be at the very limit of what Super 8 will take. Also, I've seen a few titles on the HTI machine that actually look better on a standard GS-1200.

I've put more information up about the latest film collecting DVD on www.bfcc.biz. Just go to the news page and it's the latest news item. Plenty of piccies for you to look at taken from the video which I hope will appeal to us film collector type people.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 01, 2005 04:10 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, this is a great web page, the images are fantastic...
Silly me, I should have bought this DVD at the convention.

Now, about losing a speaker...
Both speakers are side by side, on the back the GS, so you can't really say you're fully enjoying stereo sound in these conditions. You either have to plug external speakers in or hook up the projector to a stereo amp to really appreciate stereo sound.
Since one of the speakers has to go in order to allow some space for the igniter, isn't there a way to connect both sound channels to the remaining speaker?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 06:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the sound switch into MONO.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC