8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Holiday Land

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday Land
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the first cinecolor cartoon titled Holiday Land, ever been released on Super 8, or 16mm sound in color?

It is a Columbia Rhapsody feturing Scrappy. He refuses to go to school, and begins to slumber back into dreamland. Scrappy is guided on Holiday with mythical characters and It features Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny the Pilgrims.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really can't say for sure, but I do know that the whole Ub Iwerks "Color Classic" series was released in the forties, in both standard 8mm and 16mm by Castle films, and hey ... they were actually processed in CINECOLOR and to this day, these prints still retain ALL thier color. Cinecolor was discontinued as of 1951, but since these cartoons were roginallt produced in cinecolor in the mid thirties, that means that these 1940's prints retained the exact rich color quality of the originals, (something that not even Balckhawk films re-issued were able to do in the 70's and 80's)

Also, as an extra note, I have seen 16mm cinecolor prints of many of these Ub Iwerks color classic showing up on ebay.

So, YES, there is a potential chance of this showing up on ebay in your preferred format!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

If you have seen these pop up, then that is a good sign.
These cartoons are heartwarming classics.

I have a 16mm on Brave Tin Soldier. It's a charming 'toon.
Although it has turned practically beet red, it's fun to watch.
It just illustrates how the impact of the animation and story
make some titles worth while, regardless of the color fade.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, very true.

My "Holy Grail" titles are (regardeless of whether super 8 or 16mm) are cinecolor prints of "Baloonland", which I'm sure would be absolutely stunning in it's original cinecolor, and the biggie, "Sunshine Makers" (Van Buren, 1935), which I would pay top dollar to just have a print of.

Since Blackhawk had rights to both Ub Iwerks cartoons and Van Burens cartoons, I believe that it's likely that "Sunshine makers was released by Blackhawk. I know that thier prints of "Felix the Cat and the Goose that laid the Golden Egg" (Van Buren) are astonishingly sharp and colorful. I highly doubt that they would have let "Sunshine Makers" go unreleased.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Was Sunshine Makers a series or just a single cartoon? I would love to see the original Baloonland. Was it called the Pin Cushion Man, or do I have the title backwards?

Michael [Confused]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original title was "Baloonland". I wrote a review of it in the forum reviews. It was retitled for Castle Films re-release. I really don't know why, as the original title was quite good. Perhaps it was because the pincushion man was the most memorable character in the film.

As for "Sunshine Makers", it was a one shot cartoon. The curious thing is just how Van Buren was able to survive as long as he did, (as a studio), for "Sunshine Makers" was sponsored by
Borden foods, (as well as a number of other titles, a nice way to get advertising in the theatres).

Van Buren studios is one of those studios that, if it had been allowed to survive past 1936, what would have come forth from it. It was certianly on a par with any other studio at the time, (except for Disney, who was technically better), but a mere year after Van Buren closed his studio, he passed on, ann old man inn his 60's.

But happily, we have his legacy, AND on super 8 as well!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC