8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 2000GL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 2000GL
Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
So far I've not been able to do much with regards to this hobby; still paying for house improvements and my trip to Istanbul in May!
One thing I did buy, however is this projector (from Ebay)to show my home movies from the 60's and 70's.
The projector itself is in pristine condition and runs very quietly and smoothly. One major problem however; the light output is very low, which I noticed even before I compared it to my 34 year old Prinz.
This projector will only be used to show films to friends and family in a relatively small room in my house. The problem is not the bulb as I changed it to the same as in my Prinz and yet still low output, therefore must be the electrical supply to the bulb. (bulb 50watt, 8 volts; perfectly fine in the Prinz).
I can't afford to buy another projector at the moment; can anyone advise as to what or how I can adjust?
Thanx for any help,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a voltmeter? Can you measure the voltage feeding the bulb?

Stupid Question(Sorry! Have to ask!): this bulb seems to have a reflector on one side of the envelope. As installed, does the reflector face the aperture?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 26, 2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might help to know which model the projector in question is. I myself have a Chinon model 727 dual-8 projector with an 8V/50W lamp, and it has two brightness settings - or should I say, one "bright" setting and one "barely visible" setting. [Wink] If your projector has a similar feature, maybe something's not right with the wiring and/or the resistor that drives the lamp at the lower brightness setting.

EDIT

Oops! Just noticed you mention the brand/model in your topic. Chinon 2000GL... got it, got it. [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 26, 2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibility:

Is there a heat shield that's supposed to swing out of the way in "run" mode that's stuck in the light path all the time?

--------------------

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2005 04:46 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve/Jan,
Projector does not have a heat sheild, and the filament is between the reflector and the lens, as in my Prinz. I don't have a voltmeter but will get hold of one. Have just directly swapped bulbs between my Prinz and the Chinon but same problem so must be one of electrical supply.
Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about electrical workings of a projector, and I imagine it would not be cost effective to send off to a cine mechanic.
Suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and add another projector to my wish list!
Thanks for your suggestions.
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 27, 2005 08:43 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't give up the ship, Dave!

Could be something as simple as an oxidised or loose connection!

Isn't Merseyside where the Beatles came from?

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 28, 2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still betting my money on a resistor somewhere in the path. [Smile]

And wasn't that Liverpool, by the way?

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only a Voltmeter can tell for sure!

I checked: John, Paul, George and Ringo's birthplace is shown as

Liverpool, Merseyside, England, UK

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 28, 2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That tells you what I know of British geography. I didn't know Liverpool was part of Merseyside. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2005 11:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just means we were both right!

--------------------

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Liverpool's the city, Merseyside's the county. (although theoretically the county doesn't exist anymore!)
Will let you know how I get on after I have gotten hold of a voltmeter.
Thanks,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC