8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Widescreen centre.Any dealings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Widescreen centre.Any dealings
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 27, 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just a quetion.
Any one on here ever had any close dealings with the widescreen Centre? I note they never do or have tended the BFCC. Not too sure if BS is that keen on "the common people". You know the ones, they pay the money and make the company what it is? [Wink] [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I bought my Kowa 8Z from the Widscreen Centre back in 1980s (although thinking about that has made me feel a bit old now as I was still a teenager then!) I recall they were happy to offer advice.

Over the years I have bought the odd bits and bobs and have always found them very professional. Once a parcel broke open in the post and when I received it some film stock was missing. Although not too happy with the Post Office, there was no quibble in sending me some replacement stock pronto.

Last year I bought a 16:9 anamorphic lens from them. This was to use with (sorry everyone) my video projector. Rather than invest another fortune in a better projector I thought I would try sticking a 16:9 lens infront of it so that I could make use of the whole 4:3 chip for widescreen movies (as opposed to compressing the image and then enlarging it).

The lens they sell is actually for use with 4:3 video cameras to produce a 16:9 image on widescreen TVs. I spoke to Jake who had never had a nutter like me wanting one for use with a projector, but he was very enthusiastic and at his own suggestion let me try the lens to see if it would work before deciding to keep it or not; very generous.

The lens is a success and personally on this ocassion I could not have hoped for a more pleasant and helpful attitude.

EDIT - Just to add that the ELMO still gets more use though [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good Rob.
I myself hav'nt used them but i'm sure in the shop and by mail order they are fine, it was just that i have heard that after they were asked if they would support the BFCC,(i am talking when cine was at its peak) that Mrs Shapps has been heard to say "no, i couldnt mix with that lot". I wonder what was meant by that. [Big Grin] [Wink]
BTW. Nothing untoward is intended by this post what so ever, i'm just curious that in there trade that kind of comment could even be contemplated.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 30, 2005 07:05 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be sure, but if BS said that, maybe she was joking. I recall going to two or three of their 'Widex' events that happened in the early 80s, and they were fairly similar to film collecting events, in view of the 8mm shows (except all were in scope) and the dealers present. They also had non-professional scope films in competition and weird things like stories told through widescreen slides, with live music!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have been to many of the Tony Shapps Widex shows in the late 70's and the eighties. Allways found Tony & Beryl to be very much part of the movie scene. The Widex shows covered may aspects and Tony Shaps 16ft Scope screen for that time very impresive. They even had Cinerama presentation using the 3 projectors. Those were the days when cine was very poler and the original Keith Perry of Perrys Movies would attend along with lots of the dealers now gone. I personaly found there prices now and before to high, even now very pricey on goods but they do have quality items for sale. Having premises in the more exclusive part of London its not cheap so maybe thats the image they like to present to customers. Have had mixed feedback on the service they offer.

Bruce Rawlings
Junior

- posted November 09, 2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Bruce Rawlings   Email Bruce Rawlings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have dealt with WS Centre on and off since the 70s always good service and advice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC