8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » st1200 light problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: st1200 light problem
Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was giving a show at the Library last night....had threaded up the st1200 for a couple of shorts before the main 16mm feature. I had run a few feet to focus,...had turned off the lamp for a minute ..then reversed the film to get back to the countdown, but when I turned on the lamp...nothing. I just thought I had blown a lamp, but it didn't look blown..,and when I put in a new lamp, same thing....nothing. Motor and drive working fine. Before I tear into this machine on my own, does anyone have any guidance to offer. I know there's a main fuse on the outside, but is there a fuse for the bulb circuit inside ? Could that be the problem? Any help will be appreciated.
Ps. I brought another super 8 machine with me and the show did go on.
thanks

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary

You don't say what 1200 model you have, but I am guessing it is a D model. Check for condesnation and/or corrusion on the bulb prongs. Clean them gently with a pencil erasure or steel wool. Sometimes this will cause a short and the bulb won't strike.

There could be buildup inside the switch as well, without the bulb installed, just move the switch on & off a few times rapid succesion. If these tips do not help, then you need further repair.

Don't forget to check bulb connections in the wiring, a more envolved repair but not real serious.

Chip

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 28, 2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, (at least in my ST-1200HD and also an older ST-1200D that I have for parts), there are two fuses inside the machine below the transformer which are easily accessible after removing the rear cover.
Definitely check the bulb connector prongs first, though.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2005 08:12 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the advice. I don't think it would be corrosion on the bulb prongs...I tried two new bulbs ..same result. This week , I'll tear into it and check those fuses inside. the one I'm having trouble with is an st1200....the first model. no d no HD.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 08:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too sure that the lamp does have a seperate fuse. I think it's protected by the mains fuse which you can access externally.
The fact that the machine still runs means of course that the fuse is ok.
I think the suggestions above are good ones but it might be a faulty bulb holder or switch.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 31, 2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an St-1200 with a loose wire coming off the lamp socket. Thanks to Kevin I found it and secured the connection.

Have you tried a third bulb? Or check the bulb prongs with an ohm meter.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC