8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » AC power connector on Elmo ST-800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AC power connector on Elmo ST-800
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 28, 2005 10:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an early-generation Elmo ST-800 as part of a small lot, and it has an old-style 3-prong AC connector, as shown below:

-

As I do not have a cord that fits, I need to hotwire one but don't know which of the pins is 'hot' and which one is 'neutral'. I do know that the middle pin is 'ground'.

As shown in the picture, the right pin connects straight to the board behind it, and the left pin is wired to the fuse visible on the left - which leads me to believe the left pin is the 'hot' one. Am I correct?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 28, 2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, I think Leon may have one. I bought a cord from him a couple of months ago for $20.00.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 28, 2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,

Underwriters Laboratories (and any other safety agency I've ever heard of...)likes the Hot side to go to the fuse, so your logic seems good to me!

I have one of these. It's a good projector.

Several cautions:

1) Rewind may not function correctly without a genuine 800 foot take up reel for anything bigger than a 200 foot film. The large center hub reduces the film tension required to turn the rear spindle so that the front spindle's clutch won't slip. When I got a Gepe 800 footer for mine my rewind went from quite wimpy to totally capable! Since then I've heard of a number of ST-800s like this.

2) Sound playback probably won't work until you clean the switches and sockets by using them a few times. It was the headphone socket that killed my sound at first, and then the record key here and there for a little while. I was trying to troubleshoot the machine and plugged head phones into it. Got sound, and then the main speaker worked too after I unplugged them. Since the machine has had a regular workout, no troubles.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 29, 2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Leon? [Smile] Hmm, that's $20 I can save, actually. Just made up an impromptu AC cord - with a 2-prong plug on one end and two small crocodile clamp thingies on the other (ignoring the ground pin for now), attached the clamps to the left and right pin (hot to hot and neutral to neutral) and the machine fired right up without sending a shock through my system. [Smile]
Thanks for the caution regarding rewind, Steve, already was aware of it... Have actually had to remove and replace both reel arms and make adjustments to the clutches etc. in the process, and so far everything is working as it should. After a LOT of cleaning (the machine is very dusty) and belt replacing I'll be ready to run a test film through it. [Smile]

--------------------

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 06:54 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is leon Norris.He lives in Pa.He bought up all Elmo super8 parts in the states and repairs them.I can't recall his Tel.# right now.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 07:11 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, don't you still have a ST1200 that you keep for parts?
Why don't you remove the power socket from it (or buy another one from an electronic shop) and replace the old one on the 800? It would allow you to use modern power cords... (I did that on an old Eumig Mark S and on a ViewMaster 3D Projector).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 29, 2005 07:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon Norris
315 West Forance St.
Norristown, PA 19401
(610) 275-1225 evenings and weekends

He must be good! They named the town after him!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 29, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How cool, that's like Steve Osborne's address (he's located at Blackhawk Road). [Big Grin]

Here's what I have... a fully working and complete ST-1200HD (my main cine machine)... the ST-800 I'm working on right now, a stripped-down ST-1200D which has LOTS of parts missing including the amplifier board, etc... I'm also awaiting more for-parts units, none of which I expect to be able to restore to working condition (other than this ST-800). Except for my main 1200HD unit, they all have the old-style connector. Sure, I could just replace it, but I don't have any replacements on hand right now and would rather just work on getting the ST-800 up to speed before I worry about something as mundane as a proper AC hookup. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC