8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stranges GS1200 versions from Japan...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stranges GS1200 versions from Japan...
Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
click on the left on "Elmo GS1200NSH"

http://transl ate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.h4.dion.ne.jp%2F%7Es8mmeiga%2Findex.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

That's the original site:
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~s8mmeiga/index.html

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 05, 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything strange... just GS1200 machines modified for HTI(?) light... external power supplies are visible, additional cabling is visible, one picture shows the transformer and lamp itself... now the one thing I do wonder is what is the picture of the cracked gear wheel doing in there [Wink]
Interesting page, though... now if only the Google translation actually worked [Frown]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 05, 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We must invite Japanese collectors to the forum and do presentation of their experiment.

BTW, the translated link that Ugo gave is incorrect, do cut and paste from the original address and go to altavista.com or google.com to translate from Japanese to English.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link works on my PC...boh???
These GS use the lamp of the video projector. Anyway this is a strange machine:
http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~s8mmeiga/img127.jpg

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 05, 2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link is quite correct, it's just that (for me, anyway) it doesn't translate - still shows up in Japanese, despite the Google translation banner showing at the top in my browser. Which, BTW, would be Mozilla 1.7.11 on Windows XP...

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 06:13 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the link works properly (meaning translating) in IE Explorer, but not if we are using Mozilla as the browser.

On the topic of changing the lamp, at the moment I only use normal EFR bulb which produces of course tungsteen color. As the result, it impacts to the color temperature of the picture to be warmth.

Due to the country where I live now, I have never seen once HTI lamp or any sophisticated stuffs like that. But do you guys when trying to replace the original lamps meaning you are trying to get pure white light result?

Please anwer this to kill my curiosity. If that what you are looking for, in Fiji I could find a Halogen bulb used for Vehicle which produces quite pure white light. (This is usulally used by young boys to show off their cars and actually could disturb other motorists).

So do you think I can modify this bulb to be used in projector, disregard the shape of the bulb, since I take into consideration the projectors can be modified to adopt the bulb, like those Japanese (on Ugo's picture) had done.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 06, 2005 11:09 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, the translation does work in IE - now I'm excited! Will I at last be able to browse eBay Japan, or dig around on Elmo's corporate website? Hooray. [Smile]

But to answer your questions, Winbert... yes, xenon and HTI lamps produce brilliant white light of a cooler temperature than halogen (not to mention, they're just plain brighter). Not sure if a car headlight lamp would work - AFAIK those are just large bulbs with no reflectors so you would have to design your own reflector for starters. Also I think that the pure-white headlight lamps you're talking about are actually xenon lamps, not halogen. Whenever I see those on the road I notice they're rather bluish...

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Those car lamps are Tunstan Halogen but filled with xenon gas instead of whatever they normally use. This is what the Xenophot range of lamps use. I also think that those blue car lamps actually have a blue coating on the outside of the glass?
The pics that Ugo has linked us to are all conversions to std machines and I have to say that for me I would prefer to stick to the std Elmo produced xenon instead of doing all that non standard butchering [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might as well stick to DVD projection [Big Grin]

Chris, that's not your site is it? [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Butchering is definately the appropriate word Kev. Makes you realize what a great job Bill Parsons did on John Clancy's Elmo HTI conversion.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 06, 2005 04:47 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with you. Bill's conversion didnt really require any major surgery and John could put the machine back to a std ESC if required and all would then look normal again. I doubt you could do that to those machines too easily.
What I was wondering is why people want that much light? Keith has been using the std xenon on a 20ft wide screen for years at the BFCC's with very acceptable results and Johns HTI did a wonderful job at this last BFCC, so why more light?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 06, 2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's one of those, "Because I can." Meaning, for some people modding in itself is a sport, and they enjoy the challenge of doing it. [Cool]

I'm a bit that way myself... as a matter of fact, today was a milestone for me: I finally converted my ST-1200HD into a true 1600ft. projector, even adding a 2:1 gear ratio for the take-up reel in the process. Pictures to come...!!! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC