8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reminiscing: Film collecting in the Nations Capital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reminiscing: Film collecting in the Nations Capital
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this talk about the Willoughby/Peerless stores in New York City, takes me back to that era in the mid-seventies.....

Washington DC had many small, independently owned camera stores back then. Just about all of them carried some sort of super 8 movies. Usually, a small stack of films was kept on shelves behind the counter. Mostly a few Disney, a couple of cartoons, and always plenty of Star Wars 200 footers (after '77).

Then, one day, I struck gold when I walked into Penn Camera Exchange in downtown D.C. I could'nt believe all the super 8 400 footers! I did'nt even know there were 400 foot digests made. Half way down the store, to the right, a huge glass case, just filled with the celluloid. It was there, that I bought my first 400 foot color, sound digest- "The Posiedon Adventure". It took me over a month to save for it, but if anybody ever got there money's worth out of a movie, it was me with that one. I showed it in the school auditorium plenty of times. I took it to all my relative's houses during the holidays that year. It was the beginning of many more.

Penn Camera carried the largest supply of KEN and COLUMBIA digests, but no Universal 8. Then later, I discovered another store, Embassy Photo, further uptown. They sold mostly only Universal 8, and had almost everything U-8 put out!

Then, an even stranger discovery. I found a camera store that had tons and tons of super 8. Rows and shelves jammed full of 200 and 400 foot films. Sound, silent, color, b/w, everything. I almost fainted when I walked in [Smile]

But-here's the catch.........

Everything was SPORTS! [Mad] [Mad]

No cartoons, no digests, no comedies, NOT EVEN A PRINT OF 200 FOOT STAR WARS!( and when I asked the man behind the counter if he had a copy of Star Wars, he looked at me and kind of chuckled- "Star what?"

Needless to say, I never went back in there again.

Well, I guess nothing we had here in DC really compares to a Willoughby/Peerless, or a Derann, but it was like Disney World to me [Big Grin] .

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 09, 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Nice story,

Did you ever think that those shops could still keep tons of 8mm films on their baseman? Would just hope the shop sellers ask you to take those "reel to reel tapes" for free?! [Big Grin] [Wink]

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came to the D.C. area in 1971 ....and I guess I missed those stores ..but I did find a shop near Capitol Hill that was all movie related.....posters, lobby cards.....figurines...and yes ..they did sell a few 8mm films....I always loved going down there...but it didn't last too long. maybe a couple of years or so.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2005 02:15 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary- I know the exact store you are talking about! I used to live right around the corner from it. I think it was called "The Nickleodeon" or something like that. It was in the 300 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, in the heart of Captal Hill, across the street from the Hawk 'N Dove bar/resturaunt (which is still there). They had the happy/sad masks up outside somewhere. I remember walking around the corner to go in and look at all the neat stuff. I think I remember the owner telling me that they ran 16mm movies in the parking lot next door at night during the summer, but I was still too young to venture out by myself at night (I was 9), so I never got to witness this.

I only had a few silent 50 foot movies at that time, since I had to depend on Christmas and birthday gifts for films at that time. By the time I started my paper route and could earn my own money, the store was gone (like you said, only open a year or two) [Frown] . Then it was a book store, and now, a bank, I think. Brings back good memories, though [Smile] !

Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC