8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The most quiet 8mm projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The most quiet 8mm projector?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 12, 2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I don't have a special projector's room than the projectors have to sit beside me.

I use two projectors, i.e Elmo ST-800 and Sankyo 800. From time to time the noises produced by these projectors become so disturbing.

So according to your experience what is the most quiet projector that ever been manufactured?.

Quietness that I meant was for two conditions, i.e:

- clicking of the machine
- free from the hum comming from the amplifier (My sankyo is the worst...it's humming all the time sometime louder than the sound of the films).

So what is that...cheap machine is not a matter as long as they are quiet.

BTW, is the GS1200 free from the above problems?, but certainly I will not afford to buy it.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 12, 2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
At one point we built a box large enough for the projector (with reels) to sit inside. It had a window on the front to project through and inside was also a mount to hold an anamorphic lens. The two "operator side" doors were simply hinged with a small magnetic latch so they would stay closed during the movie.

But what about the heat? No problem. A small fan and 4" flexible dryer hose was used inside to exhaust the heat. It worked perfectly and you absolutely couldn't hear ANY projector noise even sitting 5 feet in front of it.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 12, 2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quietest projector I've ever heard with my own ears is my own Bauer T450 Servo Program. And Bauer's high-end machines (T525 and T610) are famous for their quiet running as well. The clicking of the claw is almost inaudible, and sound is clean and noise-free with no hum whatsoever (that I can recall, anyway).

No idea about the GS1200, I can't afford one of these either. [Razz]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 09:32 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, if you can lay your hands on any of the 900 series Eumigs, you will find that they run beautifully. When projecting a newly cleaned film they run almost silent.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
I share 100% Jan comments about the Bauer projectors. I have a
Bauer T-610-Stereo which is the quitest running projector I ever
came accross. They are expensive, even second hand.
Regards.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Craig- the Eumig 900's are very quiet, but only the 930 and above models which have the normal 2-sprocket film path. The coaxial reel versions, up to and including the 926 stereo model, suffer from noisy 'thrashing' of the extreme length of film from the feed spool to the gate, which is extremely distracting and annoying, as well as being very hard on the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, i've only had a small number of projectors over the years, but one of the quietest was the Bell & Howell 33ST. A nice, affordable mid-range machine. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 13, 2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that surprises me! But then I've never seen a 33ST expect on eBay. [Smile] I think they're made by Sankyo (under the guise of the Mamiya brandname?) ... not sure. But the 33ST has always struck me as a nicely-built machine just from seeing photos of its insides. [Smile]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned many projectors...! [Smile] Chinons, Sankyo's, GAF's, Bell and Howells
I only have one now, the GS1200 but the quietest projector I have ever used is the Bauer T610 hands down. It sits quietly, humming along, I really loved that machine and hope to get another one day. If you try Ebay.de you can find them there for around $400 shipped. The only reason I sold them (I had 2! ) was that even though the GS was a louder in performance I feel the 200 watt bulb and the ability to synch and the Optical Playback gave the GS the edge. The picture of the GS has more "sizzle" too. But if they made a Bauer with a 200 watt bulb and all the other features I mentioned above PLUS 2000ft spools it would definitely be a "GS 1200 Killer"!!!! [Smile]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 13, 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I could do it. [Big Grin] Get a Bauer T610, give it giant reel capacity and add a Xenon lamp while I'm at it. [Big Grin] Hmm, I just gave myself an idea there... Time for a closer watch on eBay Germany... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 13, 2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've said many times that my Bauer 510 is the quietest projector I've never heard. The Eumig 940 comes next in that category. Strangely enough, when my Xenon GS-1200 first came back from a checkup by Leon Norris it was amazingly quiet, with only the sound of the cooling fan noticeable. Its gotten a little louder since then.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My money is also on the Bauer 610T-a proper lounge projector!The film just sings away through the synthetic gate. [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC