8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Pride

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Pride
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd start a new topic- Projector Pride. How proud are you of your beloved film projectors? Are you like me for example-I spend much more time cleaning, polishing, and maintaining my GS1200'S and Eumigs, than I ever spend on washing the cars! I think the GS1200 is just about the most beautiful piece of equipment I have ever seen, so I spend hours polishing it up and love to put it out, all dressed up with its 1200ft reels and scope lens, where visitors can see it. That also goes for my Eumigs, Bolex's, Pathescopes etc which are all on prominent display in my house.
I just love this equipment, and no VP will ever come close to creating that kind of feeling.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm not using a projector I have it stored away with a dust-cover to protect it. However, I have a SANKYO 500 which is dead. I cleaned it up and it's on display on my mantle as a centerpiece along with some film that are in MINT condition boxes from various vendors (ie: Blackhawk, Universal-8 et al).

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 02:28 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, a good topic actually, when you consider how fragile our machines are and wot dirt and dust can do to them i'd be very surprised to hear of anyone who doesnt keep them scrupulously clean. I myself also remove the back cover and with a blow brush also keep the works clean, in particular the electronics. One thing thats holds heat is dust. When you get a large build up of dust sitting on top of the resistors etc your also allowing unecessary build up of heat on these items. Mine looks new inside and out, [Wink]
Mind you, ive seen some second hand ones that look like they've done a round with Tison. unreal,

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 13, 2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my machines... I can spend hours and hours just cleaning them, making little adjustments, getting top performance out of them... I look with a warm smile and a loving gaze at every sprocket, every belt, every claw, nut, bolt, screw, lamp, motor and every electrical solder contact... Ahh, my little babies... Come here, you... Let Daddy pamper you... um... sorry, where was I? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 13, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's a great tip about keeping the electronics clean to avoid heat build up. Heat is definately a huge factor in the MTBF of solid state components, and a few degrees cooler can make a huge difference.
Brad, of course you are right about keeping your projectors under cover to keep dust off. But the machines I have are so beautiful to look at that I just have to have them out on a display shelf. But I do keep my best Eumig 938 and GS1200 'under wraps'. [Wink]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 13, 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the other projectors are safe in their boxes or under their dustcovers, the beautiful Bolex 18-5 is prominently displayed. If I had a Heurtier Super-PanoraLux (8mm,9.5mm,16mm) I'd build a display case just for that looker!
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95gearheu5.jpg

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 02:49 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased one of those little battery operated vacume cleaners designed for computer key boards, it's ideal for cleaning projectors especially with the little brush attatchment fitted.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 14, 2005 10:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,
Yes that Heurtier is some projector! I have always thought the Heurtier's were the most impressive looking machines. The French designers had a real flair for artistic design. I also have a Bolex 18-5, and as you say, they are truly beautiful to look at, and great little performers too. Mine is still fully functional and I use it to show all my standard 8 home movies. Can you imagine any of your electronic projection equipment working like new after almost 50 years? I dont think so, 5 at the most.
Mark,
That's a great tip about the little vacuum cleaner, I've got to get one of those. Thanks.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark!,I'll be getting a wee vacuum cleaner also! Dust is the constant enemy. Just about all my old toys are on shelves-attracting dust! I have two super 8mm projectors "at the ready",a GS800 in the lounge upstairs and an ST1200HD downstairs in my little "priests hole"! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 14, 2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a clean T-shirt draped over my ST-1200HD when it's not in use [Cool]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 15, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

Did you modify the T-shirt to cover the increased reel size? I'd be careful with any changes to the basic structure of the cloth. The integrity of the neck band may not be able to take the augmented weight. [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 04:33 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Is Projector pride like "Gay Pride" in the UK? If it is I think I will take my St600 rather than the GS1200 since I am not sure I could carry the extra load if it involved marching..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 15, 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug & Tony,

you two are absolutely killing me!! Just had to laugh out loud reading both your posts.... brilliant!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 15, 2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I slept with an Argus once. [Eek!]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC