8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » On The Subject of Reel Changes....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On The Subject of Reel Changes....
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This subject continues from being mentioned on Jan's post (My ST1600HD)

For those of you who don't run with two machines, why not try this the next time you run a show...

(I assume by writing this when a reel ends you rewind it immediately taking a short break, then thread the next reel due to run)

1. You've run the first reel and it ends.

2. Remove the full take up reel.

3. Remove empty front reel and place on the take up arm.

4. Thread and run the next reel immeidately.

5. Continue these steps until the show is done.

6. When show is over, reverse this order, rewinding all reels shown.

I remember doing this in high school with 16mm. We always did changeovers when 2 machines were available. But when they weren't, this is how we did it.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

CG

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 15, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't I think of that when I was watching my 2x1200' print of Intolerance [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 10:50 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this meant to be advice for those who dare to rewind each reel before they begin the next? Actually, I've done both. If I have a party going with good conversation, it's fun to talk between reels and make busy work by rewinding. Sometimes it takes twenty to thirty minutes to load the next one. That's part of the fun!

Other times, if the film has a particularly driving narrative and the audience can't wait, then we'll just keep going.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 16, 2005 11:26 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kurt, now I know why I didn't think of using each empty supply reel as the next take-up... because I do the same thing, rewind while people are talking. [Smile]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never even gave a thought to rewindig one reel before showing the next. The only time I got into trouble was with a 16mm film when one of the spools was bigger than the other

--------------------
Tony

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2005 12:26 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if you used the spindle adapters from a Neumade rewinder set on a 16mm projector... Mounted a 1200' Super 8 reel on the non-geared end and used the 16mm projector as the take-up. I know it sounds nuts, but I think I'm onto something. Extend-A-Reel setups are no longer being manufactured and I'm no electronics wiz, but I can't help but feel that somewhere here there's a workable idea.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never ever ever rewind prints on a projector. You end up with a loose wind which can cause print warping.

You should also always try to use a take-up reel that is the next size up from the film you are running (e.g. 1200ft take up for an 800ft film) -- of course this is not always possible - especially when your film is on the largest possible reel size.. But when it is possible, it gives you added protection from warped prints not taking up properly and spooling all over the floor.

I use Neumade power rewinds to rewind film, but hand crank rewinds are fine. For super 8, I have a set of spindle adpaters (BTW - If anyone wants to buy them, let me know, I don't need them anymore). The only issue that I've had with super 8 is that the reels aren't that study and the torque on the rewind is sometimes too much for them...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 18, 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an Eiki SSL-0 projector from eBay for exactly that purpose... as a motorized rewind... and around the same time I ended up with a pair of very unusual 1600ft. plastic reels which are 8mm wide but have 16mm (square-peg) spindle holes. I am now certain that these reels were meant for use with the Extend-A-Reel unit for 8mm/super-8 projectors (and one such beast actually sold on eBay just a couple weeks ago, but without the reels!).
But Steven is right... the rewind torque on my Eiki is too much for those (relatively) fragile super-8 films. [Eek!] That aside, the damn thing turned out to be in such good condition I actually got into 16mm film collecting "on the side," on top of my super-8 hobby. Argh. [Wink]

And then, of course, Chip Gelmini let me have some of his dead/for-parts Elmo projectors so I was able to adapt the reel arms on my Elmo ST-1200HD for super-8 1600ft. reels. I just need super-8 rewinds now... (have a pair, but with spindles missing)...

Steven, I'd be interested in those spindle adapters actually. Are they the Neumade brand? How much are you asking for them? I might pick up a pair of cheap 16mm rewinds to go with these...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC