8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blackhawk, the standard for Laurel and Hardy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blackhawk, the standard for Laurel and Hardy?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new topic. I was wondering, all you forum members, is Blackhawk films the standard for super 8mm copies of the Laurel and Hardy films?

I recently aquired "Way Out West" a Blackhawk print, and was a little annoyed that the focus isn't as good as on many a short subject print by Blackhawk. If I remember correctly, Blackhawk has the print rights to Hal Roaches original print library.

Are thier better super 8 prints from other companies? In quiring minds want to know.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I slao have the BlackHawk print of W out W and have found it to be quite good. Walton and Mountain did them in the UK and on the whole they were quite good. The only complaint was that although the Walton prints tended to have good pic quality they were shortened. I think this was something to do with the release rights.
On the whole though I have prefered the Blackhawk prints. They seem to have a much nicer contrast to them whereas the Waltons tended to look a bit dupey at times. This was especially so of the Mountain releases.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackhawk changed labs at some point and the print quality went down. The early regular 8 and super 8 prints were generally very sharp. Don't know who they changed to, but I think the original lab was Calvin Company in Kansas City.

John

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can vary a lot on these prints. For instance, the first reel of my copy of "Way Out West" is brighter, while the second reel on has VERY nice contrast, good grain and slightly better focus.

As a general rule, I've found the Laurel and Hardy shorts tend to have a better clarity to them than the features. I don't why this is so but it is much appreciated. Soemtimes it doesn't help much. I picked up a copy of "Brats" a short while back, and whether it's the sound or silent edition, this short tends to have a mariginal focus at best. It must be due to the original negative. I just picked up a brilliant copy of "Dirty Work" (love those falling bricks!) for five bucks! What a steal, and it was never played!

I'd be curious to learn about the history of the film labs used by Blackhawk, as it was mentioned that Blackhawk later on switched to a second film lab and thier standards went down slightly.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2005 10:50 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Way out West Standard 8mm sound feature from Blackhawk new in 1969....and it , too , was very soft on details...good grey scale, but facial features...etc...very soft..almost couldnt see Stan's eyes on medium shots. Some of the Super 8 shorts I got later were much better....Scram is outstanding....Going Bye Bye also. Haven't seen a decent print yet of Hog Wild.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couple of short L&H's from Blackhawk, all have very good print quality, the exception being thicker than water. It is very good but awkward to focus as it is a little softer than the other we own. All be, it is still very good. This particular titleis STD 8mm and is renowned for being their last short. [Wink]

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several Blackhawk L&Hs, including "Way Out West." It looks pretty good. I acquired a Blackhawk "Music Box" on eBay. It came mounted on a 600' reel (both parts spliced together). The first reel is excellent, but the second reel is soft and almost looks like a dupe. The same thing happened when I got "Beau Hunks" from the same seller. I don't know if both parts are authentic Blackhawks or if I got shanghaied. It's not unwatchable, but surprising that the quality would vary so drastically. In general, though, the Blackhawks tend to be the benchmark.

I also have a few Walton prints, and they vary radically from acceptable to blecchh. My print of "The Live Ghost" is so blown out it makes everyone in the film look like ghosts!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 09, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurt, strange as we also have this Walton title on a 400ft STD 8 and print is superp.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 19, 2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the strange thing is that Blackhawk titles an range so much, even with the very SAME title. I have both silent and sound versions of "Brats", one of my favorites, and believe it or not, the silent version has a very noticeable difference in sharpness of image, it's really like night and day. Hmmmm.

On a side note, I just won a copy of "Blockheads" on super 8 for 45.00 dollars, not too bad. I personally feel that Blockheads was the last of the truly great Laurel and Hardy comedies. They did make one other decent comedy, thier very next, "Flying Dueces", but there comedies, taken out of Stan Laurels personal hands after "Blockheads", really suffered, no one understood the team of Laurel and Hardy like Stan laurel, and he wrote accordingly, so I'm very happy to ave Blockheads in my collection.

and the cool thing is that I have secured a DVD copy of "Way Out West" and "Blockheads" with truly killer sound, so when I re-record these soundtracks, these super 8's are going to sound stunning with that re-processed dolby stereo sound!

All the best

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC