8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Peculiarities

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Peculiarities
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 11, 2005 01:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you spend a little time around a GS1200 you soon realize what an amazing piece of equipment it is. Some people say that the GS is too complex for its own good, in other words over-engineered. But nobody can deny that a GS in top maintained condition can outperform any other S8 projector around. However, as great a design as this machine is, it does have a few questionable design features. Here are a few that I have noticed:

1) The rubber sound pressure roller only covers about half the width of the film. You would think that to minimize slippage that the roller would be lying across the full width of the film.

2) The main drive belt is cogged like a timing belt, but the cogs are on the outside! What's this all about?

3) The film rollers are all metal, riding on metal pins. Why not plastic rollers on metal pins, which would be self lubricating, and would not scratch the film?

Anybody know of any others?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC