8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My first projector?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first projector?
Hans Ledel
Junior

- posted December 22, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Hans Ledel   Email Hans Ledel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

I am a Swede living in Stockholm and I have rediscovered Super 8
I actually thought Super 8 died year ago, but last spring I found out that it was still “alive”

I bought a camera and started to shoot and did a telecine transfer so that I could edit my films in my NLE, but I also wanted to look at my films on a screen.
Therefore I decided to buy a projector and I bought this one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5837131881&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It is a Eumig Mark S 812 HQS and since I have no idea if this o is a good one I thought I ask some questions here.

1. Do you think this model is good to start with?

2. Is there anything special about this projector that
would be good to know?

3. I guess there will be no manual with the projector so I
was wondering if I could use the one about the Eumig
S810 that you have here in the download section?

4. I also wonder if anyone here might have an address for
an online seller of super8 movies?
I think it would be fun to get one or two of those
to look at as well
5. Is there anything else that you think would be good
to know for a beginner?

Any answer or information would be much appreciated

Cheers and greetings from Stockholm

Hans

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 22, 2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hans, and welcome to the Forum.

1 - Yes, the Mark 812 is excellent. All the 800 series Eumigs are like tanks.

2 - Like all projectors, keep it clean and lubricated. Watch the film gate. On Eumigs, it is slightly narrower and really needs to be spotless otherwise you might scratch the sides of your films. (It sounds alarming but just keep the film path clean and it will be ok).

3 - The 810 manual will do the trick. The 812 is more or less an upgrade of the 810.

4 - Watch these columns, members always have some films for sale. You might also want to check these:
- Derann
- Classic Home Cinema
- Independant 8
- Perry's Movies (sales list posted on this forum)

Others are around on the web and, of course, there's always Ebay...

5 - Take the time to look at old posts of this forum. They're packed with tips and informations and a lot of fun to read.

JM

PS: You need to lubricate your films. We all have different opinions on what to use. Once again, search this forum for possible leads... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hans,

Welcome. Glad to hear your as nuts as the rest of them here [Big Grin]

I am putting together a special Christmas pack of film lubricants and cleaners for anyone to try for the special price of £49.99 plust post and packing. It contais everything you will never need including candle wax, paraffin, turpentine, baby oil, Armour All wipes, WD40, Furniture Polish, Brasso, Derann Film Curler (is that what DFC stands for?), Cresclean, Filmguard, Film Renew etc etc )

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2005 03:29 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hans-

Congradulations on getting back into the fun world of super 8. Jean-Marc has suggested some excellent resources.

And might I recommend an excellent starter film for anyone who collects or shoots and projects super 8:

A short film available from Derann called "Pieces of Silver". This short film is a collection of images from movies and other sources, from the beginning of film making, to present. It contains a very impressive assortment of quick takes of classic movie scenes, and gives the viewer an opportunity to view these classic moments on the big screen. Animation, stop motion, commercials, award winning movies- its all there, nicely edited to about 8 minutes, with an excellent music track and some dialog.

It'll make a great Christmas gift to yourself! [Wink]

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 22, 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second James' comments about 'Pieces of Silver', a brilliantly edited little film by Chuck Workman and the Eastman Kodak Company. I use it a lot as an intro to a film program and never tire of seeing it. Very repeatable, and that is the key to collecting films.
Glad to see that Tony is getting into the film lubrication buisness and his 49.99 kit certainly has most of the ingredients necessary to ruin your films, except for the ArmorAll! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Trust you have a good Attorney [Eek!]

Yes I agree the pieces of silver (after a nice lube with WD40) is a peach. The AFI 100yrs of the cinema scope is also a good one to show as well

--------------------
Tony

Hans Ledel
Junior

- posted December 23, 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Hans Ledel   Email Hans Ledel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your answers and tips
I appreciate it.

Cheers

Hans

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC