8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Strange Film Shake Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Film Shake Problem
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two reels, one is a short and the other from a feature. No matter what machine I use, the reels shake violently from side to side as it plays. As soon as the next reel goes through, everything is fine. Obviously this must be a mastering problem, because the projector doesn't seem to make any kind of extra noise. The picture shakes so much, I can see the sprocket on the screen, in this case, it's about 12 inches tall (at 30 ft throw). This happens to be reel 4 from 2001 a space odessy (scope acetate) and Tassle in the Air, a 3 stooges short. Has anyone else seen this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 25, 2005 03:18 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird!!

Is the film shrunken? Narrower width than it should be? Try matching up the sprocket holes with another (known good) piece of film. Are the edges of the film smooth? If either edge is roughed up due to some kind of unusual damage from previous screenings, that could definitely be a cause of the sideways jittering.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 26, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the films in question could be overwide - the fact that you can see sprocket holes makes me think that the width of the area between the holes and the edge of the film is wider than usual and therefore pushing the holes into the gate area. If so, there may be too much sideways pressure for the film to go smoothly through the gate.

If I'm right, the problem can be cured via a rarely-seen device known as an equaliser, which is used between rewind arms and has a sharp blade which can slice a tiny amount off the sprocket hole edge of the film. I know someone in the UK who has been able to assist in such instances, but I don't know if you can track down an owner of one in the USA.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the film is held on the projector, to try to grip film with the inch and the index of your hand right at the exit of the reel top! If the film stabilizes it is that it misses a little greasing!

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC