8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1200ft on an Elmo...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1200ft on an Elmo...
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2005 07:39 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boxing day emergency : 1.38pm
I finally bought the Elmo ST1200 from Barry Atwood. Have tested it. Am in love.
However I have also purchased The African Queen on 4x600ft reels from Classic Home Cinema and am planning my first official screening tonight. Thinking I was awfully clever, I also bought a brace of Elmo 1200ft reels in order that I could splice the film in to a couple of lengths to reduce changeovers.
Here's the question that may seem painfully obvious to old hands - the takeup spool won't fit on to the rear of the machine because of the film guide arm. The only way I can see of moving it is to actually unscrew it and physically remove it. Is this the answer?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2005 07:46 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Sam

Seasons Greetings!

The green plastic guide should be spring loaded and push back towards the machine body and stay in place by moving slightly forwards (I think). It should not be necessary to remove it.

--------------------
Tony

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Tony. Thanks very much!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 26, 2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you read the instructions old bean [Big Grin] [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 26, 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

at least your Elmo HAS the spring-loaded film guide. [Smile] How many times do I see Elmo 1200 machines on eBay that have the guide missing - which isn't a problem in itself except that the white roller is ALSO missing! They don't think to remove the green guide but screw the white roller back into place afterward, so the film ends up scratching right where it comes out of the machine and onto the reel!! [Mad]

Anyway, I digress. You're all set, enjoy your show [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - haven't got any instructions. Can you help?
Jan - Thanks for your message. I did enjoy the show, but it being my first, I spent most of the time panicking about sound levels, focus and how empty my glass was getting!

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an odd post. Perhaps as I found out, the reason for removing the guide, is because it doesn't hold in the closed position, and scrapes against 1200 foot reel flanges. I own 6 machines and I have made it a point to remove the guides, just as important as changing the belts. And i don't understand how the film can get scratched, because mine have never done that to film.

Remember this guide was installed for autoloading up to the smaller flanges of 800 ft reels.

CG

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC