8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Lamp
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original GEC type esc lamp had 4 turns of the filament, am I correct? I notice Eiko brand esc lamps also have 4 turns. Are both going to be roughly as bright as the original? Can anyone provide a link to the original discussion about these lamps on here, a few months back.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 30, 2005 10:14 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,

You are spot on. The Genuine ESC lamps have a smaller filament bunch for the 8mm gate. The std EJL 200W 24V lamp for 16mm has the larger 5 turn filament coil. I believe that some of the Elmo branded ESC'c were made by Eiko of Japan so yes they should be the same in terms of light output etc providing they are the earlier 4 turn coil filament bunch.
There are some so called ESC lamps about which have the 5 turn coil. These are clearly rebadged EJL's as Lux measurements have shown in tests conducted by myself. This includes the latest Eiko lamps. Obviously they dont want to set up production for small quantities anymore.
As we are on this topic once more may I add that putting an ELC (250W) lamp in a GS1200 will result in less or a similar light output to the EJL. This is beacuse the higher current drawn by this lamp results in less voltage at the lamp and therefore less light output. The transformer is not capable of supplying the extra 2 amps required and can be damaged if run like this for extenteded periods. [Frown]
Use only Genuine ESC's or the EJL. (24V 200W)

One of the earlier topics on this issue was under the thread: ESC / EJL BULB. Run a search for that thread.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the Eiko ESC lamps and, as Kev says, it has 5 turns. It's bad enough getting a rebadged EJL, but worse still that it's at the ESC price [Mad] No doubt I could have bought 2 EJLs and still had change! Anyway, it's my fault for losing track of some of the research posted on this Forum.

I still have a 'Radiac' ESC that I obtained from Derann about 2 years ago, and this has 4 turns. Shame that presumably they would not produce another batch. I found a US website with vast numbers of lamps that amazingly appears to have offered these for $16, but it's shown as out of stock.

Presumably, there is no confirmed source of genuine ESCs anywhere at the moment?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 10:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Your right the Radiacs were great lamps. It's a good idea to keep an eye on ebay as the lamps do turn up on there from time to time. Watch the price though.
Also another good thing to do is pop into any Photo stores which sell or sold lamps and see if they have any old stock still. I used to do this on my travels and it's surprising what can be found sitting at the back of shelves in small photo shops.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried some web searches and found a US supplier ('B&H') that offers the following ESC lamp by 'special order':

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=GBESC&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=74615

The price is only $16.95, which is $2 less than they charge for a EJL (although postage to the UK is considerably more than the lamp, if you only buy one). It appeared that the order would be processed if I'd gone ahead with it.

Seems too good to be true! Anyone tried ordering an ESC from this source?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, that looks too goo to be ture. Having a Xenon machine I dont need one but it would be interesting to hear if anyone manages to get one of these lamps.

Kev.

[ January 03, 2006, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2006 03:54 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we knew what make the lamp was we would probably know if it was a genuine ESC or another rebadged EJL.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 03, 2006 05:59 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try asking the suppliers some questions and I'll report back if they tell me anything.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 05, 2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a rather vague sounding reply stating that they know of someone that might be able to supply a few "original GE brand ESC lamp" that "will cost $23.95".

Price still sounds good, despite high postage charges, but does anyone know if GE definitely made a 4 coil ESC. I have a vague recollection that I bought some GE ESCs from someone cheaply several years ago, but it was a faulty batch, and they were blowing immediately or after and hour or so. Luckily I was able to get my money back.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 06, 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, GE did make Genuine ESC lamps. I had a number of these some years back and they were as good as the original Elmo branded lamp. Yes they were of the 4 turn coil type. Ask the question of the supplier and see what they say.

Kev.

--------------------

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondered as original ESC's are very hard to come by, what is the next best replacement alternative lamp for a standard GS1200?
The re-baged ELJ's available from a well known dealer seem of good quality but dissapoint on brightness compared to the genuine lamp and are well overpriced compared to the standard EJL's.
Pound for pound I find the GE ELJ's to be my prefered lamp but would be happy to pay over the odds for the brightness of a real ESC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC