8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound problem on an ST1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound problem on an ST1200
Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The internal speaker on my machine is fine. I also have an external one which again is fine, but to be fair the sound's not brilliant. So, in oreder to get the ful benefit of the Elmo's stereo capability, I've connected the right and left channel (1 and 2) line out sockets to an external amplifier. There is some sound with the amp turned up high but obviously there is an accompanying loud hum at this level.
As suggested by John Clancy in an earlier post, I went to Maplin's and bought a pre-amp for £14.99 which should boost the line out signal to the amp. Now, the volume of the amp doesn't need to be so high, but the sound is very distorted.
The real problem however, is that with or without the pre-amo, there seems to be no signal from the second line out socket. In other words, no matter which way I swop the cables, there is no sound from the right channel/speaker. Swop the speakers, same problem. The film I've been running is Derann's stereo Jungle Book. The sound on the projector is set to magnetic. I've just cleaned the heads with alcohol and the switch at the back next to the line out sockets has been set at 1, 1&2 and 2. Still nothing. I've even tried hitting the record switch (without the film in) and wiggling the jacks about in case there was any gunk built up inside. Still nil.
Once again, the machine is reading the film and playing the sound, but it's frustrating that I can't get it to redirect properly throught the amp. Can anyone help?
By the way, no pressure but "Uncle" Sam is showing said movie to nine pre-teen inhabitants of Stoke Newington tomorrow (Sunday) at 4pm. If they don't linch me for cocking up the sound, their parents will!
Happy New Year.

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 31, 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like you've checked every possibility... but are you absolutely 100% sure that film has stereo sound (i.e. there is indeed a signal on the balance stripe/right channel)? Why not use some other sound film to record onto (tracks 1+2 together), then play it back and see what happens...
Now, if your only goal is to just have good sound and it doesn't necessarily have to be stereo, then have you played with the tone control knob at all? I once screened a cartoon and the sound was quite muffled - I later found out why - had mistaken the tone control for the balance control and turned it all the way to the left thinking that would give me sound from track 1 only, when in reality I took out all the high frequencies and brilliance! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 01:15 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
I'll try what you suggested with a bit of sound film, but the Jungle Book is boxed and it does say "stereo".
It's also not a tone issue as I've twiddled with that knob quite a bit (this is no place for double entendres)just in case I have to rely on the in-built speaker tomorrow.
If the right channel is Donald Ducked, any idea how difficult it'll be to mend or get mended?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 31, 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sam,

Have you tried feeding the monitor (headset) outputs into your amp?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey (or, as the peerless Sid James said in "Carry on Cleo", Blimus!) I've been addressed by a real life moderator!

Hello Doug,
Further to your question, I went back, poked my headphones in holes and here are the results:-
As any fool knows, there are two line out sockets numbered 1 and 2 on the top rear of the machine. Next to this is a switch which can be set to 1, 1&2 or 2. Below these is a headphone/monitoring socket.
Switch set to 1 :
- headphone sound and projector sound when plugged into socket 1.
- no headphone sound but projector sound into socket 2.
- headphone sound, no projector sound, plugged into headphone socket
Switch set to 1&2 :
- all as above
Switch set to 2 :
- headphone sound but no projector sound when plugged into socket 1
- no sound at all when plugged into socket 2
- headphone sound but no projector sound when plugged into headphone socket.

All the headphone sound came through the left earpiece, none from the right.

Confused? You will be, in next week's episode of............

Sam

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder Sam if your Film is indeed stereo.

Why dont you gat an old film and try to record on track 2 and then see if it plays back. I work in London so if you are near to the Soho area I could let you borrow a film which I have recorded myself and know to be ok.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 31, 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Sam, here's another thought.....

Now, the headphone jack and the two monitor jacks are all 3.5mm jacks... but the headphone jack accepts a stereo plug (one that has two black divider rings on its shaft) while each monitor jack accepts a mono plug (one divider). See for yourself:

Mono plug

Stereo plug

I'm just wondering if you're maybe hooking things up wrong without realizing it - a mono plug plugged into a stereo jack, for example, will short out one of the channels so you only hear the other one. Just a thought...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Definitely a stereo jack.

Kevin,
Two moderators in one post - I don't know whether to bow or curtsey. I jest.
Thanks for your offer. The only surety I have of the print is that it's boxed from Derann and it says stereo. I bought it via the forum from a regular contributor, so in the coming week I'll ask them about it. I guess I'll need to make do tomorrow, but if I have no success with Jan's idea of recording a bit, I might well take you up on meeting in town.
Thanks again. Go and great drunk. It's the New Year for crying out loud. (That's pathetic since me and my missus are about to slump in front of Jules' Hootananny and will probably be spark out before it all kicks off.)

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Pleased to say that the Whiskey is going down great and yes I'm now halfway to being ineeeeeeebreeeeeateeed. [Big Grin]

Happy new year to you too.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem sorted.
Kevin (Faulkner) kindly sent me a reel of film that he knew to be recorded in stereo. Popped it on... et, voila!! Nothing wrong with my projector. My recently purchased (second hand) version of The Jungle Book is not in stereo despite saying so on the box.
I must also own up to being a bit dim in that I used stereo jacks in the two channel sockets and so only discovered by chance and a spot of impatient jack wiggling (which is illegal in certain parts of Cornwall) that, of course, mono connections are required. I think the phrase is...dohh!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 11, 2006 12:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
So does this mean the film is going back for a rerecord?

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC