8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Muffled Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Muffled Sound
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can muffled sound be cleared up on the GS1200...it's nothing like a dirty head (I don't think) because it's always been a bit like this. Short of new heads (un-obtainable) can anything be done?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 01, 2006 05:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon,
How are you listening to the GS1200? Are you listening thru the internal speakers ( this will only give you poor quality sound) or are you feeding the AUX OUT from the GS100 into an external stero amplifier coupled to a set of really good speakers. This is the only way to go if you want the best quality sound. And to get away from your muffled sound problem you should try feeding the projectors AUX OUT into a 10 band graphic equalizer first , then you can selectively suppress low frequency hum and rumble, and enhance high frequencies to give you a much cleaner sound. For the ultimate sound of course, re-record all your films using DVD audio.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Paul. Yes, I am listening through the internal speakers. I will try linking to an external amp.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 01, 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, What are your own recordings like? Is it just on commercially produced films?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

Over all recordings really.

Also, tonight, a clicking from the channel 2 (balance stripe) speaker...went away when I turned it down.

Simon.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 01, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey Simon, this I think is one of those problems which is going to be difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the machine in action.
I take it this cliking was with film running through it and was stereo film.
Some mono films do have some noise produced on the unrecorded balance stripe.
Is this a Later or Earlier version? Does it have dots or lines on the vol and tone controls and does the lower loop come out under the lens holder towards the lens?
One thing that has occurred to me is the balck block above the sound heard with the four black pressers coming down onto the soundhead ok?
Wow sorry for all the questions?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2006 07:23 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev; the clicking, I think, was just a gremlin in the works. But, at the time, there was no sound track even applied to the film i.e. just plain film. The volume controls; these have dots. I'll have to check the loop. But, I've seen 197? on the motor label. I'll check the black block, above the heads. But, on newer film (say from Derann, like a trailer) sound is better by far. For recording though, I recorded on a Eumig, which sounds fine through that. It seems that on some stripe, this machine sounds worse than on other types of stripe. It is always laminated stripe that I have put on by E v T, by the way.

Blimey Simon, this I think is one of those problems which is going to be difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the machine in action.
I take it this cliking was with film running through it and was stereo film.
Some mono films do have some noise produced on the unrecorded balance stripe.
Is this a Later or Earlier version? Does it have dots or lines on the vol and tone controls and does the lower loop come out under the lens holder towards the lens?
One thing that has occurred to me is the balck block above the sound heard with the four black pressers coming down onto the soundhead ok?
Wow sorry for all the questions?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 03, 2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Another pos is that the heads need demagnetising or of course its down to head wear. You say the machine has dots on the control knobs which indicates that its an early machine. Has the machine led a hard life?

Kev.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 04, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev's query about whether Simon's GS1200 has had a hard life is not inappropriate. Many used GS1200'S have indeed been run to death by their previous owner's. The first GS1200 (a version 1 machine) that I bought off ebay arrived in a terrible state. The shutter was scraping the inside of the chassis, there was no stereo sound, and the whole machine was absolutely filthy inside and out. Judging by the gunk on the inside of this machine, there was no doubt in my mind that the machine had spent its whole life in a heavy smoking environment and my theory is that this particular machine may possibly have had a sordid past as a projector of adult movies in a strip club! [Big Grin] Anyway, I complained loud and clear to the seller and told him I was going to return the projector unless he agreed to discount the selling price to cover repairs. He claimed he knew nothing about the poor condition of the machine, but agreed to my suggested discount of $300.00. Since that time I have stripped this machine down, meticulously cleaned all the circuit boards, switches, solenoids and mechanical components, and lubricated according to the manual. The machine now runs very well indeed and is very happy to have a new owner! [Wink] Just goes to show that no projector is a hopeless case!
My second GS1200 that I purchased off ebay ( a version 3 machine) fortunately arrived in mint condition and required no work at all.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2006 12:26 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where could I obtain a head-demagnetiser?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is one

North Pole this way

--------------------
Tony

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered this muffled sound is only a problem sometimes. Example, on a newish trailer...seems fine. But, on other tracks, not fine. For example Oh! Mr Porter, didn't sound too good, but the same film was a bit better on a different machine. The tracks which sound muffled on the GS don't always sound as bad on another (Eumig) machine.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC