8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 2006 Film collector convention in France

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2006 Film collector convention in France
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 05, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LES CINGLÉS DU CINÉMA
Where?
Salle Jean Vilar
Boulevard Héloïse - Argenteuil
When?
27, 28, 29th January 2006
Hours:
Friday the 27th - 10 am til 3 pm
Saturday the 28th - 9 am til 7 pm
Sunday the 29th - 9 am til 6 pm

Free admission on both Saturday and Sunday.
Admission fee (15 euros) on Friday (merchants day). Tickets can be purchased when you arrive at the convention.

There will be many dealers (around 200) selling films (super 8, 16, 9.5...), equipment, antiques, posters, photos, collectables, etc.
Prices are slightly higher than those seen at the BFCC, though.

How to get there?
From anywhere in Paris, you want to take the Metro to "Saint-Lazare" railway station (circled in red on the following metro map).
If you come with the Eurostar (which arrives at "Gare du Nord") and stay in this area, there are buses that will take you to Saint-Lazare (20 minutes ride).
At the station, buy a ticket to "ARGENTEUIL". You want to take a train that goes to "ARGENTEUIL" or "CORMEILLES EN PARISIS" (end of the line). Depending on the day and hour, trains leave every 10 to 30 minutes. It's a 16 minutes trip.
Get off the train at "ARGENTEUIL".
Do not get off at "Val d'argenteuil" as you would end up in the middle of nowhere

Alternate route is to take "RER" (local express train), line "C3" (circled in green on the map), if you're staying in the centre of Paris (Saint-Michel area). But this might take longer.

Metro Map:
 -

When you arrive in Argenteuil (train station cicled in red, RER station circled in green), it's a 20 minutes walk to "Salle Jean Vilar" (marked in purple). There might be buses but I'm not sure about these...

Map of Argenteuil:
 -

And here's an approximate floorplan of the convention (and where to find me...)
 -
There's another screening room on the upper level (not shown on plan) but don't expect anything as spectacular as the BFCC's large screen...

What's called "2nd door" on the floor plan is now the main door, the former "main door" is now the exit. This is to invite people to visit all the rooms as some were daft enough to think that the convention was limited to the lobby area...

Pics of last year's convention are posted here .

Any question? I'll be glad to answer them on my return (January, 22)

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 31, 2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in an earlier thread, the convention was quite a success. I didn''t have much time to run around with my camera, so for newbies who would like to see how the various halls look, check out this post from last year.

Here are a few random tables from this year's fair. The last pic is of my own table. Having a non-stop screening of digests was helpful to attract people. The title scene from "Carrie" really helped A LOT! [Big Grin]

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2006 06:10 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc-

Thanks for sharing! [Smile]

I'll have to get over there to attend one of these fine functions one day.

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 31, 2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some nice looking Pathescope 9.5mm equipment-the 'GEM' and 'SON' are both very photogenic projectors, and is that a 'Buckingham' 9.5mm conversion? Mais Mon Dieu!- no Heurtier's at a Paris convention? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 31, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great time when I went to Paris. I would love to go there one day on a Super 8 trip. The London one was a blast! Thanks for the great pictures.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 01, 2006 02:23 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, yes, it is a brand new Buckingham conversion. And there were a few Heurtiers and Beaulieus here and there.

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JM

You sure do have it bad, real bad.

--------------------
Tony

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 02, 2006 12:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks a great event, I'd love to go one day.

Jean-Marc: do you think that any people going to these event to buy film memorabilia end up becomming film collectors? If so, they might be the best way of bring new blood into the film collecting world.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 06, 2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I started selling stuff at this fair, 10 years ago, I was the only one selling memorabilia and collectables (like vintage star wars toys, mint in their boxes...)
As the years passed, it became unpredictable of what would sell and what wouldn't. I guess that's the rule of the game. My film (and equipment) collection grew and grew and I started selling super 8, cameras, projectors, film posters as well. Over the last 2 to 3 years, I've seen many buyers with specific requests. One guy, for instance, collects everything that's more or less related to Spielberg. I sold him the 400ft cutdown of Raiders, the 400ft of Close Encounters, an old Indiana Jones Macintosh game, a large 3D vacu-formed theatre display for the release of Gremlins and the pressbook for Munich...
There are also those who buy strictly for nostalgia. I had a bunch of 50ft reels of silent animes (UFO Robot, Captain Harlock...) and one lad bought them and a small Cinemax silent projector simply because he had similar objects when he was a kid.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC