8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Synchronizing the DVD when changing the reels...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Synchronizing the DVD when changing the reels...?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 07, 2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have heard here that some full feautures (like Master & Commander) has the same cut with the DVD region 2. So using the pulse sync and GS1200 you can play both together to obtain pure 5.1 soundtrack.

Just to kill my curiosity, knowing that M&C (or other titles) is divided into several reels, how do you play with this?. Assuming that M&C is spliced together, we still at least get it into 2 big reels.

So, when there the reels is changing, how do you count exactly that the second projector will continously play on the same frame with the DVD?

And how if the second projector (due to some technical problems) start a bit late than DVD. Will the pulse sync chase the DVD sound or vice versa (meaning the DVD slow down the soundtrack) [Confused]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 08, 2006 12:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In every print I have re-recorded, either there were extra frames on the 8mm print at the reel changes or there were missing frames on the 8mm print. I have never seen it be spot-on throughout.

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2006 03:17 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a minature battery operated TV to monitor the DVD picture, pause the GS and the DVD player at a suitible point, then start both.
Holding the TV in one hand and using the fast and slow buttons on the GS you can re-sync very quickly if the start point was slightly off. [Tip is to use scene changes].
Obvoisly if re-recording you have to start off right as the fast/ Slow buttons would cause unwanted sound distortion.
At reel changes just pause the DVD lace up the next reel and just go for it. It must be easy as I often dont bother to re-record and just sync to the DVD every time.
Once you have sync the monitor can be turned off as it will stay in for the reel. Of course you need one of Pedro's sync boxes to go with the GS.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 08, 2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all,

I understand if the reels have been re-recorded, then, there will not be a problem (but the 5.1 will not be produced). I was just wondering if it was using soundtrack direct from a DVD. In this case, so there was a time when DVD soundtrack keep going while reel has finished? and we must stop the DVD, rewinding it to the exact position for the second reel, isn't it?

Thanks for clarification,

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2006 02:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just pause the DVD, change the reel, wait for the Super 8 image to appear on the screen and press play on the DVD. Any synchronisation error can be corrected using the fast and slow buttons on the rear of the GS.

Just in case you are mistaken about re-recording Winbert, 5.1 sound will not be recorded onto Super 8 stereo stripe. Just stereo tracks can be recorded.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC