8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tip to help with Calculating Lamp Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tip to help with Calculating Lamp Life
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Last year I tried something new with my super 8 and now that a new year has started, what I tried worked very well.

Print out a 3 column, full page width spread sheet with about 40 lines using your spreadsheet program.

Label column A as TITLE

Label column B as FORMAT

label Column C as DATE

Each time you run a full length program; write down the basic information.

Benefits are plenty.

Analyze how many different shows were run by a siginificant time; break down between formats scope/flat/mono/stereo/opitcal/magnetic; and count up the total amount of screen time (hours) and predict your next bulb change.

This worked well for me, and I encourage others to give it a try.

Cheers,

CHIP G
January 11, 2006

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 11, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, but please change the topic title of this post as it is deceiving towards some kind of emergency. Thanks [Cool]

This brings up an interesting question, do most people here run a bulb until it dies, or do you guys take the bulb out once it hits a certain number of hours?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 11, 2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Until it dies unless it starts to get dull and patchy from discolouration. I take it Chip that this is based on an average 50hrs life?
Have changed the title for you. Brad is right it did sound a bit alarming [Eek!]

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 11, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run 200 or 250w lamps until they blow, but maybe not a 100w lamp in my Eumig, if it has seriously declined.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 11, 2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just happen to know that bulb's life is only 50 hours ..... [Confused]

So more money need to be invested now, hopefully my wife doesn't read this! [Big Grin]

So... I use Osram or Phillips EFR 100w 12 v..it is also 50 hours...??

Forgive me for that question.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2006 11:24 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

1) Sorry about the title guys, and thanks for changing it Kev. Regret that it may have sparked some wires....hehehe

2) I think this comes from my years as a projectionist and lamphouse maintenence....depending on the bulb (or theater manager) we rotated every 500 to 1,000 hours. And always opened the lamphouse for inspection every month although we did not always rotate everytime.

3) I change the bulbs when the reflector appears pitted and/or the bulb glass seems slightly dark. And yes, I am assuming 50 hours, Kev.

CG

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 12, 2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Useful information!, but can you introduce a derating factor for the vibration stresses caused by a 3 year old jumping around the projection area?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC