8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FFTC- Barry Littlechild Article (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FFTC- Barry Littlechild Article
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 10:28 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the best of super 8, and have been amazed at what can be achieved, i will always support super 8 even though i am no longer collecting. When i was collecting it gave me many years of fun.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 18, 2006 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris, are you really no longer collecting,????????????? how did you manage that. Haven`t been able to shift it myself.
I suppose when your GS went etc.
I`m still addicted to that buzz even when the first few super 8 frames of a 400 footer come up, nothing like it for me, though I do appreciate the superb results dvd wise now.
I can`t imagine how good your PT700 must be.
best Mark.
PS I bet your more popular with the other half mind.!!!!!!!!!!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all!

Wow, you guys have made incredibly good points. While I do have plenty of DVD's, they don't give me nearly the joy of my super 8 collection. Even with all the headaches super 8 can provide (projector malfunctions, bad prints, scratches, etc.), there's nothing like it!

In reference to the comparison test on That's Entertainment III- I have a movie comparison that is also similar to that situation.

About a year ago, I made an interesting observation on a DVD viewing. I was watching a new DVD for "Saturday Night Fever". I had the full-length U.S. Marketing super 8 print to this in the 70's. While the DVD is basically perfect as far as quality, the super 8 print had rich, saturated colors that seem to give the movie more character. In one particular scene, this really stands out. In the scene where John Travolta walks in on Karen Gorney (reel #3, I believe). She's dancing in the studio, wearing an all-white dance outfit. She seems to have a "glow" to her. The colors are so deep, then she smiles on a close-up shot. The scene is so beautiful on film. On the DVD, the scene is fine, but it just looks sort of "flat", nothing special, a forgettable scene, whereas, on the super 8 print, this was a wonderful scene.

Like someone said earlier, comparing the two formats is like apples and oranges. A side by side comparison won't really be appropriate. It is what it is. I use both formats, but still, the magic of super 8 lives on. [Wink]

Nick.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC