8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Naked and the dead (1959) from Picollo + English version

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Naked and the dead (1959) from Picollo + English version
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 21, 2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long time ago, Andreas told us in this forum that The Naked and the dead (1959) or "Die Nackehen und die Totten " from Picollo can be joined together with English version to make it nearly three parter. So which of the title is that in English version?

thanks,

[ January 21, 2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 22, 2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert, thers a 4x400 version knocking about from time to time.English.
I had the 400 footer but the print was a bit dissapointing.
Best Mark.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

the 4x400' English-language version was released by Heritage Films.
The Piccolo two-parter (whose title is in fact spelled "Die Nackten und die Toten") was available as well in magnetic as in optical sound. The 400-feet version containing additional footage was also available in Germany (with German magnetic sound) from "as film", but it seems this was imported from a company called "Panther Films". Besides, "as film" released a silent 50m (about 170ft) extract. I don't know if this was just a cut-down of the 400 footer.
It seems that all Super 8 prints of "The Naked and the Dead" were available in b/w only, although the film was originally shot in Technicolor and WarnerScope. Am I right?

[ January 23, 2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Eberhard Nuffer ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 23, 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct. The full film in colour was quite a good film,
If this movie were made today it would almost certainly contain the harsh four leter langauge which the novel is full of.
We also had the 4x400ft b/w Heritage release and although not badly cut down the picture was quite soft. Ok on close up or large images but where a lot of detail is on screen the focus was quite poor. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC