8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Val Lewton horror films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Val Lewton horror films
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently been reading about the 1940s horror director Val Lewton and I'm quite intrigued by him and his work (dark, shadowy, impressionistic horror). Quite a few of his films seem to have been released on super 8 (THE CAT PEOPLE, BEDLAM, etc.). Does anyone own any of these or his other films? I would love to hear a review, an appreciation, a warning, or simply a suggestion as to the best place to start regarding his work.

Thanks,

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2006 03:16 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scott,

Mountain released a fine 2x400' digest of "Cat People", it kept the moody tension of the full film, and highlighted the craft of Lewton. I had a copy of this years back (I wish I never sold it now, still I'll come across it again) and everything is fine in the editing and sound and picture quality, this is a nice souvenier if you can find a copy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2006 04:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi there scott,i have somewhere a 1x600ft of bedlam made by val lewton back in 1946.you might get copies of his films on the web;thats were i got mine.ive seen the cat people for sale on ebay.also why not ask derann to see if they can help.they took over the 8mm rights after mountain closed down.cheers andy.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, guys. Sounds promising. I'll keep my eyes peeled, as they say.

SGB

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won this past year a pretty nice super 8 full length feature of the very very rare and underrated Lewton film, The Ghost Ship. I have since gotten a 16 of it , so , Scott, if you want to buy the Super 8 print, let me know. It's a mountain print, I believe....and complete....just a tad dupey...but Mountain did not work from original material. As you may know, Ghost Ship was withdrawn from distribution just weeks after it premiered due to a lawsuit over the script....someone claimed it was based on a script that had been sent in by someone. ..and they won the suit. When the RKO package was release to TV thru C and C.....it somehow got in the package..some prints were made...but again....it was withdrawn quickly .....and wasn't show again until about ten years ago at Cinecon in Hollywood... a new 35mm. I assume the court order only covered a certain amount of time, ..and the Ghost Ship was put out on the old Laser disc format...and VHS .

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2006 11:03 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer, Gary. Could you kindly send along the details (price, number/length of reels, etc) to me?

sgbruce <at> hotmail.com

SGB

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 07, 2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of items not mentioned yet:

a) The recently released Classic Home Cinema 200' reel with trailers to 3 Lewton films.

b) Probably the best Lewton release on S8 is 'Curse of the Cat People', released full length by Portland Films in the early 1980s. I believe it was a pretty good print.

c) Unless I'm thinking of something else, I think Mountain also released a 2 x 400' of 'Isle of the Dead'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2006 06:08 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Val Lewton trailer reel from CHC is great (and on real black and white film!).

And, by the way-
I know Val Lewton Jr.! He lives (unless he moved) in Washington D.C., and is an artist (painter). I was very good friends with his son Victor Lewton.

See my review in the new "Reel Image" magazine. [Smile]

Nick.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2006 10:57 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hello there,looking at paul foster films i noticed a couple of val lewtons.the curse of the cat people.bedlam, and isle of the dead.hope this helps a little.all are super8mm digests.andy.emailpaulat the follwing foster@films16.freeserve.co.uk

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed them too, Andrew. Just saving up my pennies. Managed to win an 800' cutdown of Lewton's ISLE OF THE DEAD yesterday on ebay for $15. May not be in the best condition, but the price is right!

SGB

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2006 01:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hello scott,you got isle of the dead for a bargin price.well done and enjoy.andy.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2006 01:34 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as it's not "quality of the dead," Andy, but sometimes you get lucky when you take chances . . . I'll let you know.

SGB

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC