8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best Selling 400ft Digest (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Selling 400ft Digest
David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2013 04:24 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this as been brought to my attention "Silver Steak" is one I bought on super 8 400ft I also have on 16mm sadly fading away. One of my favs. It was the Royal film in the UK when released.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 23, 2013 04:54 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading the excellent article by Derann's Ged Jones on
the "Star Wars" releases, and I believe that they were the fastest
selling releases of all time, Mountain Films alone sold over 10,000
prints alone, DFS sold 4500 making "Star Wars" the biggest selling package movie in history.That doesn't include the other distributors, I remember trying to buy the 400' edition when
first released, only to be told the first shipment that arrived by 'plane had all been pre sold.That was unheard of .

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 23, 2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought "Star Wars" when it came out, it was huge hit at the time. Up to that point if I remember right, getting the latest cinema blockbuster onto Super8 so quick was unheard of.

The quality of picture/sound and editing was excellent. It was a huge boost to home cinema and Super8 collecting, it was really something. Sad those prints have faded, [Frown] they looked great at the time.
 -

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 23, 2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that too Graham until I bought the Marketing version
to splice in, it made like comparing S/8 to 16MM, the difference
was evident.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, out of the ones you've listed I have all 400' except for "Silver Streak", so I think you're on to something ;-)

I have the Ken Films 2x400 of both Star Wars and Empire, both with some fade but looks more than OK with a cyan filter. The only exceptions are the outdoor scenes in the first 200' of the film (when the Skywalkers buy C3PO and R2D2), which is very reddish/orange due to the original colour of the scene in addition to fade.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 24, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the 200' Chris, was that it was farmed out to various labs to cope with demand,therefore creating differing
print quality.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 25, 2013 12:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 1978 this one was released....it must also have been a big seller at the time [Roll Eyes] "its timeless" and still good to watch. [Smile]
 -

-

The colour has held up really well over the last 34 years.

Graham.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 25, 2013 09:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the U-8 Horror editions

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 25, 2013 04:39 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a time long long ago it would have been the 200ft of Star Wars which came out prior to the 400. I also joined a que to buy it at the time way back when.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 25, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! What? Can it be? Breaking news! Doug does NOT have a copy of Ben Hur? I'll bet he does have one tucked somewhere that he forgot about. This is surely shocking news. I have to take a heart pill and calm down. [Eek!]

But I bet he has the box art for it [Big Grin]

PatD

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 25, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

That post is over six years old! I now have that digest, along with the the scope 3x400' version.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC